Sticky keys probably from soda. What to do!

Razinger

Reputable
Feb 19, 2014
Hey everyone! This is my first post on ton's Hardware and would like to know if there are any solutions to cleaning a keyboard with sticky/stuck keys.

My friend gave me their Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 and it seems that most of the keys on the on the numpad side of the keyboard are sticky/stuck. I made my own custom key puller key puller and removed most of the number keys and what not to see if I was right about the keys being sticky/stuck due to some sort of soda residue or what not. Seems like I was right. Could be honey, I'm not sure since there is no odor coming off from it.

Was watching a couple of YouTube videos of people rinsing their keyboards with water. It seems like it would work however I have no idea if it is going to work for a keyboard with mechanical switches and green led. I would think that the keyboard would be fixed with having water run down the numpad side of the keyboard and letting it dry for a few days, however the only problem with it would be the chance of the green LEDs that would stop working. I don't want to try it out and would like to know if anyone has tried it before.

Thanks!

Solution
leds are sealed in glass. techinically water does nothing to them, it's getting a current to them while wet that is a problem, and not using it till it's dry would avoid that.

the better bet would be a couple bottle of high % rubbing alcohol and a tub or something that can hold the keyboard and keep rinsing it off with that and reusing the alcohol that collects in the tub so you can use it a few times. it will evaporate and not leave anything wet. this only applies if get a high% though. a 50% solution is still 50% water. 95-99% is better.
leds are sealed in glass. techinically water does nothing to them, it's getting a current to them while wet that is a problem, and not using it till it's dry would avoid that.

the better bet would be a couple bottle of high % rubbing alcohol and a tub or something that can hold the keyboard and keep rinsing it off with that and reusing the alcohol that collects in the tub so you can use it a few times. it will evaporate and not leave anything wet. this only applies if get a high% though. a 50% solution is still 50% water. 95-99% is better.

Solution