Discussion Still concerning Dual AIO/Splitter water cooling system (AIO GPU +AIO CPU).

FAhentai

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2016
Hi guys, a few month ago I did post a tread here dicuss about dual Aio system, here is the link
As you can see that this is like half done job, I am not happy with that. Thus, this year I went back to China again, finally I made this.
Here are the pictures of the whole system

View: https://imgur.com/kKNSE84

As I posted on the old thread, in the case of Dual Aio or Spliter water cooling system, the biggest problem is the airflow. With the old sytem, both front and top fans are blowing the air out and the only fan that does the air intake job is the back one. Of course, that is not good enough.

Ideally, the best way to deal with this kind of setup is one radiator on the top and another on the back, however, this is some how inpractical, since I know there is only one case supports this kind of build, which is Corsair 1000D. If that can not be done, then it will be better if you can put both the radiators on the top, nevertheless, this kind of case is also very rare and if there are some there it will be unacceptablely expensive. Thus, the only type case that fits for this build is 1)Front air intaking, 2) Supports radiators on both top and side way so that you can blow how air out of your case. Of course, some cases, I don't know how to tell them in English but in China people call them "ocean view cases", such as Lian Li O11D, may seems the same however, with the glass in the front, air taking fans on the bottom, trust me, it will do no better than my oringal build. :ROFLMAO:

This time I used Sama Yanzhishen Case,which only cost me 28 USD. :ROFLMAO: I am not really sure if they are available in west, since I can not find anything on Newegg and Aliexpress but it is almost the same as Cougar Uniface RGB, which allows a 240 radiator on the side and 360 radiator on the top (tho I just need a 240 one for my cpu, after all, 5700X3D is not that hot).If you need 360 radiator for GPU, then the only choice I know about this is to use Asus Rog ROG Hypersion GR701.

Since my GPU is modifed to AIO and its length is the same as the original Msi 3080ti trio, it is not possible if I want to put the radiator and the graphic card normally. The only way out is install the GPU vertically, thus, I spent another 309 rmb, works out 49 usd to buy a PCI-E 4.0 16X Extension cable( 15cm) and a graphica card vertical installation rack. Once again, my graphic card is modifed to AIO so it is almost as heavy as oringal one (2.2KG without radiactor, can you believe that?), thus I put a piece of eraser at the end of the graphic card so that it can prevents the weight of the graphic card from bent PCI-E 16X slot's PCB.

Here is the test result of this system. I don't know why it seems like the furmark I have had some issue which does not allow grahic card goes 100% power consumption, may be it is its version is too old. Thus, I went Aida 64 instead, here is the result.

View: https://imgur.com/uhb5IsX

After running 6 mins, with case shut, room temperature 24℃, GPU 52.2℃,hot spot 61℃ and vram 50℃. That is good result. Thus, I got the conclusion, if you want to build a dual aio, or splite water cooling system that water cooling both you cpu and GPU, it will be better if you do one radiator on top and anther one on side way.

Last edited by a moderator:

FAhentai

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2016
But you're achieving stellar temperatures in the old thread and in this thread. I don't get how the airflow is a problem...
Well, it is not just about achieving certiain temperature level.
With my old build, there are still 3 problems there
1). With that build, the air flow inside the case is giving negative pressure, which means that it is much easier to gets dirty. My father knows something about computer so he does the cleaning job often, otherwise, it will be dusty like hell :ROFLMAO:
2). The smell. As I mentioned on last post, when the GPU is fully loaded, just because the radiator for GPU on that build is in the front and the hot air is blowed out from there, it heats the front pannel up, which creates the bad smell like some one is buring plastic.:ROFLMAO:
3). This is going to further boost the themal performance.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Well, it is not just about achieving certiain temperature level.
With my old build, there are still 3 problems there
1). With that build, the air flow inside the case is giving negative pressure, which means that it is much easier to gets dirty. My father knows something about computer so he does the cleaning job often, otherwise, it will be dusty like hell :ROFLMAO:
2). The smell. As I mentioned on last post, when the GPU is fully loaded, just because the radiator for GPU on that build is in the front and the hot air is blowed out from there, it heats the front pannel up, which creates the bad smell like some one is buring plastic.:ROFLMAO:
3). This is going to further boost the themal performance.
1)It's got quite a bit to do with how dusty the room is, if windows are left open, and how much you, others, and any pets may bring in.
If your room is dusty/dirty and whether the PC is on the ground(dust mostly gathers here), the desk, or hanging on a wall, the PC still collects dust.
There is no dust free environment in a normal residence.
You and your pops just need to have a cleaning routine, just like everyone else. At least once a year(I hope).
Any fans need to be cleaned, or they'll perform worse.
On board components and heatsinks need to be cleaned, as the dust acts as an insulator.
Filters reduce, not prevent dust, but need to be cleaned, or airflow is reduced.
Filters in the roofs of cases are questionable. They prevent dust from falling in, but active top exhaust fans already do that - so then the filter prevents dust from leaving that way, as it slowly accumulates there.
I think some take filtration too far as an excuse to be lazy - like, not having to clean the PC ever.

2)The radiator is in the side, not the front, but that's besides the point.
Heat rises when it is not influenced by external forces - such as a fan - so when it leaves the side panel, how did you come to the conclusion that the front panel was 'burning' due to the gpu radiator?
Then again, in your picture of the case interior, it does look like the front fans are in contact with the radiator, so perhaps that's the problem? I can't say with any certainty.

3)Diminishing returns. What thermal performance is being boosted?
The 5700X and 3080Ti yield higher clocks on average the cooler they operate, sure, but there is a ceiling.
The reported operating thermals are way below what the manufacturer would consider harmful, and these parts will become technologically obsolete before they break - unless some unexpected accident happens.

FAhentai

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2016
1)It's got quite a bit to do with how dusty the room is, if windows are left open, and how much you, others, and any pets may bring in.
If your room is dusty/dirty and whether the PC is on the ground(dust mostly gathers here), the desk, or hanging on a wall, the PC still collects dust.
There is no dust free environment in a normal residence.
You and your pops just need to have a cleaning routine, just like everyone else. At least once a year(I hope).
Any fans need to be cleaned, or they'll perform worse.
On board components and heatsinks need to be cleaned, as the dust acts as an insulator.
Filters reduce, not prevent dust, but need to be cleaned, or airflow is reduced.
Filters in the roofs of cases are questionable. They prevent dust from falling in, but active top exhaust fans already do that - so then the filter prevents dust from leaving that way, as it slowly accumulates there.
I think some take filtration too far as an excuse to be lazy - like, not having to clean the PC ever.

2)The radiator is in the side, not the front, but that's besides the point.
Heat rises when it is not influenced by external forces - such as a fan - so when it leaves the side panel, how did you come to the conclusion that the front panel was 'burning' due to the gpu radiator?
Then again, in your picture of the case interior, it does look like the front fans are in contact with the radiator, so perhaps that's the problem? I can't say with any certainty.

3)Diminishing returns. What thermal performance is being boosted?
The 5700X and 3080Ti yield higher clocks on average the cooler they operate, sure, but there is a ceiling.
The reported operating thermals are way below what the manufacturer would consider harmful, and these parts will become technologically obsolete before they break - unless some unexpected accident happens.
Sorry for the late replying.... I mean, I was sick after I post this thread for 2 weeks so I totally forgot about that. :ROFLMAO:
1. You totally underestimate how bad is the air quality in China. In China you might have to do it once a season. In fact, my father has to clean the system once every 2 month. With this build, now it is operationing for one month, it is not as bad as before.
2. No mate, the problem is from the front pannel. In fact most of the cases' front pannels are made by plastic, so does the one I used before. The hot air from the graphic card blows to the front pannel, heats the plastic up, that is why there is such bad smell. With this set up however, there is no such problem any more.
3. Of course, for my father there is no such requirement. If the system is not smelling I don't even need to do that. However, for any one who uses AIO graphic card, it is day and night difference. Basically, with this kind of setup, the front air-intaker fans are sucking could air in and the radiator that is on the side is so close to those intaker fans, which makes almost no difference between the open system (test bench set up) and case closed or it can go even better . In fact, this result has been confirmed by many people yet I believe it is too good to be true so that is another reason for me to make this build. The test result shows this is true. I mean, when I test the system with old setup, side pannel open, I got 53C on GPU, while with this setup, case closed, 52.2C. Of course there are a few degrees difference with the room temperature but it can not change too much.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1. You totally underestimate how bad is the air quality in China. In China you might have to do it once a season. In fact, my father has to clean the system once every 2 month. With this build, now it is operationing for one month, it is not as bad as before.
You're right, I don't know how bad it is beyond there being many factories. I wasn't really considering it for the topic.

2. No mate, the problem is from the front pannel. In fact most of the cases' front pannels are made by plastic, so does the one I used before. The hot air from the graphic card blows to the front pannel, heats the plastic up, that is why there is such bad smell. With this set up however, there is no such problem any more.
Isn't that because it's going out through the side radiator?

FAhentai

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2016
You're right, I don't know how bad it is beyond there being many factories. I wasn't really considering it for the topic.

Isn't that because it's going out through the side radiator?
Well, in fact it is not that bad but since the city he lives in is a tourist + e business city. Yet still can not be compared with West Eu/Nth American/Australia. Air purifier is still needed.

How can I say, both yes and no. It is not just the side radiator but also front intaker fans. They need to work together to reach that level. As I mentioned above, I am not really sure how you call this type of cases in English but in China they are called "ocean view cases". Basically, just like Lian Li O11D, both their front pannel and one side pannel are tranparent. Need less to say, this kind of cases are not able to have front intaker fans, the only way out for this kind of cases is having the intaker fans on the bottom of the case. Nevertheless, for most of this kind of cases, there will be a side vent which allows you to put 240/360 radiator or fans on the side way but the thermal performance will be no where near the build I have done. Why? Cuz the intaker fans can not take as much fresh air as the build I made here, even if you use the same or even better intaker fans in those "ocean view cases" because comparing with normal cases, the ocean view cases's air intake vent is like half blocked.