Still Confused

allansusan2

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Hi The World:

About a month ago I asked a question about start up time for a Solid State Hard Drive. Today I am still confused. However a couple of changes have taken place. I got rid of my SanDisk and replaced it with a ocz ssd.

My boot up time from cold it about 32 seconds; my reboot time is about the same. (Strange) How could this be.

I have been in msconfig; services etc and taken out the tick marks. I have also been in My Computer; properties and took out the tick mark in allowing_______________________________________; and one or two other things.

I do not have much installed on my hard drive. My biggest thing is the MS Office Enterprise. However; I do not know how much
this has to do with it. In W-7 my Har Drive reads 7.6/7 disk transfer rate.

Any ideas how I can make my computer faster on boot or reboot up?

Thanks,

Allan

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
Takes my computer 16 seconds to go from powered off to a usable desktop. Using the Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 120GB.

I have been in msconfig; services etc and taken out the tick marks. I have also been in My Computer; properties and took out the tick mark in allowing_______________________________________; and one or two other things.
Yeah...this tells us absolutely nothing. What did you uncheck? What did you not allow? What are the one or two other things? You need to actually tell us what you did, not that you simply did things.

Also, how long is your computer spending before it gets to actually booting Windows? Your SSD has nothing to do with how fast the computer POSTs, it will only speed up the boot process that needs to read from the disk. Try timing from the time you first see the Windows logo.

On my computer it's about 6-8 seconds from Windows logo to desktop. I'm guessing yours is similar.

Windows logo to desktop and online a sip of Coffee and a blink of an eye!

fantastik250

Distinguished
You guys lol

OP was referring to right-clicking on his SSD drive in My Computer and unticking/unchecking "Allow files on this drive to have contents indexed in addition to file properties."

I have Windows Experience Index of 7.8 on my SSD. But, I still boot roughly around 30 seconds like rolli59.

There are a couple ways of making a faster boot, you can turn on fast boot in your BIOS (but there is a risk where you can't enter your BIOS if it boots fast).

There is also another way. Go to Start, search for msconfig, click on msconfig, then click on the Boot tab. There is a box that says No GUI Boot, you can click on that. Basically, after you restart, you won't see the colorful balls come together it will go straight to your desktop. I tried this option, but there was no change in time. You can try it hopefully it cuts down the time for you.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010

That's what I assumed, but I long ago stopped assuming that people asking for help did the correct thing. I prefer to have them actually state what they did, because I've had some people say something vague like that and clarify later that they actually did something totally bizarre.

jimpz

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
Your Bios alone needs between ~ 20-30 seconds to boot & that has nothing to do w/ an SSD. If you have a MOBO w/ UEFI instead of a bios, then you'll get quicker boot times. Obviously times cam vary dependin on differeny MFG, your harware, config, etc.

Jim

allansusan2

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

About my Window Logo time; I have an Intel Motherboard; in the bios there is no place to do anything with the logo. I am stuck with it. I call intel up and was told the same.

Allan

allansusan2

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010

Willard; it takes about 6 seconds from when mywindow balls come together; to welcome; to my desktop; its this the same as yours?

Allan

allansusan2

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010

No matter what I do; it takes about 31-33 seconds for a fully reboot up. However; it takes ab out 30 seconds from a cold start; and about 7 seconds to shut down.

Allan

fantastik250

Distinguished

I understand what you mean. I also experienced that as well. It's better to be well informed about the situation.

allansusan2

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010

You are right; it did not do me any good to tyick in the GPU. There is no faster boot in my Bios. Its funny, I have heard all sorts of ways of doing thing to make my computer faster. I think its about time to come to a conclusion that 31-33 secconds would be the best that I could achive. I have spoken with OCZ ssd and Intel about their Bios. I will try it one more time to see if they would say anything different. You can speak to three different people; and of course you will get three different answers.

Allan

allansusan2

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010

allansusan2

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010

Yes it takes about 6 seconds from when the Windows Squares are formed until my disktop appears, I normally check my timing either from cold or restart. Shutdown 7 seconds. Startup from cold 31 seconds; restart 32-34 seconds.