[SOLVED] STILL no luck figuring out why my new PC sometimes won't boot with white VGA light on

May 15, 2022
I really can't find an answer and I've tried everything I can think of short of taking the entire PC apart and rebuilding it again. I can't even narrow down the problem part for an RMA if that's what is necessary apart from the fact that the white VGA light above the mobo Q code will come on.

It's a complete 50/50 gamble when I press my PC power button of if my PC will start fine, no issues, or won't even post and has the white light on. Today it took 4 hard resets via the physical restart switch to get it to work. Yesterday it booted normally first try.

I've tried: Clean reinstalls of all drivers I could think of. Updating GPU and monitor firmware. Updating mobo bios. Making sure GPU is properly seated and locked. All VGA connections are properly seated and powered. I don't know what else to try to figure out and fix what's causing this.

Someone please help.

Solution
This:

"is that the 24-pin mobo connectors and 8 pin cpu connectors on the mobo aren't totally flush and for the life of me and all my strength the things would not go in any further. And no, they're not in backwards. They just wont budge. "

Do not use all your strength. Should not be necessary and hopefully nothing has been physically damaged thus far.

You need to power down, unplug, open the case, and take a carefully look at both the connectors and socket.

This motherboard?

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...18785_ROG_STRIX_Z690-E_GAMING_WIFI_UM_WEB.pdf

Confirm that I found the correct User Manual.

Use the manual to double check all connections, seatings, and related...

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition (original, new, refurbished, used)? History of heavy gaming use, video editing, or bit-mining?

Disk drives: make, model, capacity, how full?

After the next successful boot check Reliability History and Event Viewer. Either one or both may be capturing some error codes, warnings, even informational events related to the failed startups.

And take advantage of the startup to ensure that all important data is backed up at least 2 x to locations off of the problem pc. Verify that the data backups are recoverable and readable.

Power losses can cause data corruption and losses. Especially if you are forced to hard power off versus being able to use Windows' normal power off icon.

= = = =

Also:

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all connections, cards, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place. Sometimes what appears to be fully seated in not. Especially with a new build. No one wants to force a connection.

Check I/O panel connections.

If necessary to be sure, carefully unplug and replug (or unseat and re-seat) components - you may discover one or more that suddenly seem to "fit" in much more easily and securely.

Especially the case power switch and reset switch connections. Reference the motherboard's User Guide/Manual to ensure that the connections are correct.

Inspect for signs of damage: bare conductor showing, melted insulation, browned or blackened components, kinked or pinched wires, loose or missing screws.

May 15, 2022
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition (original, new, refurbished, used)? History of heavy gaming use, video editing, or bit-mining?

Disk drives: make, model, capacity, how full?

After the next successful boot check Reliability History and Event Viewer. Either one or both may be capturing some error codes, warnings, even informational events related to the failed startups.

And take advantage of the startup to ensure that all important data is backed up at least 2 x to locations off of the problem pc. Verify that the data backups are recoverable and readable.

Power losses can cause data corruption and losses. Especially if you are forced to hard power off versus being able to use Windows' normal power off icon.

= = = =

Also:

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all connections, cards, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place. Sometimes what appears to be fully seated in not. Especially with a new build. No one wants to force a connection.

Check I/O panel connections.

If necessary to be sure, carefully unplug and replug (or unseat and re-seat) components - you may discover one or more that suddenly seem to "fit" in much more easily and securely.

Especially the case power switch and reset switch connections. Reference the motherboard's User Guide/Manual to ensure that the connections are correct.

Inspect for signs of damage: bare conductor showing, melted insulation, browned or blackened components, kinked or pinched wires, loose or missing screws.

Specs are: i7-12700k cpu, evga ftw3 3080 gpu, corsair dominator ddr5 32gb@5600, samsung 980 pro m.2 ssd, corsair rm850x psu, asus z690-e mobo

System is newly built with all brand new components, so no dust or damage to anything. I've reseated ram and gpu already to same effect. The only thing that might be concerning (though I dont know if this would cause VGA light to come on + no posting) is that the 24-pin mobo connectors and 8 pin cpu connectors on the mobo aren't totally flush and for the life of me and all my strength the things would not go in any further. And no, they're not in backwards. They just wont budge.

Ralston18

Titan
This:

"is that the 24-pin mobo connectors and 8 pin cpu connectors on the mobo aren't totally flush and for the life of me and all my strength the things would not go in any further. And no, they're not in backwards. They just wont budge. "

Do not use all your strength. Should not be necessary and hopefully nothing has been physically damaged thus far.

You need to power down, unplug, open the case, and take a carefully look at both the connectors and socket.

This motherboard?

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...18785_ROG_STRIX_Z690-E_GAMING_WIFI_UM_WEB.pdf

Confirm that I found the correct User Manual.

Use the manual to double check all connections, seatings, and related configurations.

Especially for the mobo connectors as you describe. (Starting on Page 1-10 of the User Manual).

Did you happen to use connectors/cables from any other PSU? Or any sort of adapters?

Remove the problem connectors and use a magnifying glass to inspect pins and sockets. Look for damage, debris, misalignment - anything that could be preventing the connector from properly and easily going fully into place.

Check all other connectors as well.

Solution