Stock cooler overclocking?

Apr 27, 2018
My i5 8400 will come with a 2.8Ghz base clock, the turbo will get it to 4.0Ghz, I don’t want to go that far, a 3.2, maybe 3.4/5 clock speed should be fine, but can the base cpu cooler handle onverclooking it to at least 3.2Ghz without jumping into hyper-space? A.k.a. burn or get extremely hot? (The cpu) I mean, will the stock cooler be enough to cool the overclocked cpu?

Solution
The 8400 is a locked CPU and cannot be overclocked. Dont confuse the turbo or boost as overclocking. Overclocking a CPU means that you are pushing the clock speed further than the manufacturer suggest. When the 8400 is in turbo/boost, it is running at stock speeds. The 8400's stock cooler will handle the turbo/boost just fine and keep the CPU perfectly cool. The issue with the stock cooler is it is loud. So my advice is to roll with the stock cooler and see how the noise is and go from there.
The 8400 is a locked CPU and cannot be overclocked. Dont confuse the turbo or boost as overclocking. Overclocking a CPU means that you are pushing the clock speed further than the manufacturer suggest. When the 8400 is in turbo/boost, it is running at stock speeds. The 8400's stock cooler will handle the turbo/boost just fine and keep the CPU perfectly cool. The issue with the stock cooler is it is loud. So my advice is to roll with the stock cooler and see how the noise is and go from there.

Solution