[SOLVED] Stock vs OC

SkyRock1986

Prominent
Feb 28, 2019
Is overclocked memory to 3000Mhz just as good as stock memory at 3000Mhz when gaming? Or do other factors matter more like CAS Latency? I am trying to decide if I should buy new ram or not

Solution
I think you mean what the ram was rated for and what speed you oced above it. The rated speed is just what they tested it at. It's not a stock speed since that would be stock speed of the platform. But latency also affects performance. You can't just look at mhz.
I think you mean what the ram was rated for and what speed you oced above it. The rated speed is just what they tested it at. It's not a stock speed since that would be stock speed of the platform. But latency also affects performance. You can't just look at mhz.

Solution
3200mhz DIMMs with CL14 latency are faster than 3600mhz DIMMs with CL16 latency. For most users on Ryzen platforms CL14 3200mhz is the best option that isn't prohibitively expensive. There are higher speed CL14 sticks, but they are ridiculous in price.

You should be fine with those sticks if they are 3200mhz. What CPU are you running? What sticks?

SkyRock1986

Prominent
Feb 28, 2019
3200mhz DIMMs with CL14 latency are faster than 3600mhz DIMMs with CL16 latency. For most users on Ryzen platforms CL14 3200mhz is the best option that isn't prohibitively expensive. There are higher speed CL14 sticks, but they are ridiculous in price.

You should be fine with those sticks if they are 3200mhz. What CPU are you running? What sticks?
Nice, and thank you! Just installed my new Ryzen 7 3700x today and I bought Trident Royal CL14 at 3200mhz waiting for those to arrive

If it's ddr4, pcp is going to be green on it...
Exactly.

PCPP only gives you GENERAL compatibility. G.Skill and Corsair give you EXACT compatibility, that has been validated. If it's not validated on their website, it MIGHT still work, but the chances are much lower because they are VERY meticulous about validating all of their memory kits for every board it will work on. There are occasionally oversights, and those CL14 kits at 3200mhz are all B-die kits last I checked, so there is a good chance they will work, but if you have problems, you will know why without having to do a lot of guessing.

Reactions: SkyRock1986