Stop Code: VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE (atikmpag.sys)

SermonFapple

Prominent
Jun 2, 2017
Hello!

My gaming computer has run into a problem...
I have a Sapphire RX480 Nitro+ 4GB Graphics card, and recently I had updated my AMD drivers for it, but during the install something weird happened, I started to get weird 'Missing NO.' looking glitches all over the screen, then everything went black, the computer rebooted itself and was in a boot loop, after loading the login screen it would BSOD saying:

Stop Code: VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE
What failed: atikmpag.sys

After a while I gave up trying to recover and roll back to the old Drivers and proceeded to re-install Windows 10 Pro to attempt a quick fix (Didn't mind, wanted a clean restart anyways). After Windows was installed Everything was working fine, but after installing the drivers for the Graphics card and a short game time later....the computer froze for a few seconds and a message popped up saying 'wattman settings were reset due to an error' or something along those lines and then 5 min later the same BSOD happened. Could this be broken drivers? or is it something much worse?

I will try to give as much information I can if i forgot anything.

Thank you!

Solution

Michael_Weston007

Prominent
Jul 5, 2017

Ran into a similar issue although my specs are different. In my case I have Intel HD 3000 graphics(dedicated) + AMD Raedon 7400M. My laptop was pretty old and I used it for heavy game development and modelling and other stuff even though it had limited abilities. So one fine day, the screen went black and it gave me the same BSOD you were talking about. Logged into Safe Mode (f8 while startup) and tried the foll:

Things i tried:
1. Reinstall older drivers ( didnt work! )
2. Uninstall current drivers and new drivers ( didnt work! )
3. disable AMD card and try to switch to onboard graphics. ( kind of worked but screen had lower resolution after.)
4. Tried another potential solution. Many advised to locate a atikmpag.sy_ file located in C:/AMD/Packages... and to run a console window there with the command
expand.exe -r atikmpag.sy_ atikmpag.sys
More info on this thread KAIJER's Answer :
and to replace this new file with the faulty ones located in C:/Users/.../drivers/atikmpag.sys ( didnt work! )
5. Tried BIOS update but couldnt.( mine was latest )
6. Almost gave up! Tried a system restore to a point before the crash in hopes that the driver would fix itself. I strongly recommend not to do that as it basically bricked my laptop as it got stuck in a BSOD + System Restore cycle and after one point i needed to shut it down by force The PC wouldnt start after that point.
7. Reinstalled Windows 10 and concluded that it was probably a hardware error. Logged into safe mode, disabled AMD device, took its device ID from device manager and set up a policy in group policy management to never install drivers for this device id. As a result this device stays disabled and windows will not be able to install drivers and enable this device at random occasions and crash my PC as a result.

These links will be helpful:
1. Stop windows from auto updating drivers.
2. Disable a device permanently via gpedit.

8. Finally updated chipsets drivers and switched back successfully with previous resolution to intel hd 3000 graphics.'

P.S Use drivertalent for automatic updates of drivers. Its really amazing software! Good luck!

Solution

ncard137

Prominent
Jul 17, 2018
i tried all of the above and mine still does not work. I can only get 2 gpus to work at a time, 3 induces atikmpag.sys failure. I have bigger virtual memoroy, i have exclusions and everything, all are on compute. sometimes it doesnt recognize a gpu and i have to restart it but it never can run more then 2/5 gpus. About 6 months ago it was flawless then out of nowhere it stopped running 5gpu and dropped to 2. Im thinking i have like
intel 8 series/c22 series pci express root port driver #1, 4 and 6. can i delete number 1 as i think thats the newest driver that could have fucked up my mining rig or what should be my next step
2 coursir, 1-750w and 1- 1200w, asrock h180 pro
enough ram, good cpu, pci cables and all Rx580 GPUs. Ran flawless for about 1 year then shut down one day and i was never able to get all 5 running again, what happened. i assume update or something, but i tried uninstalling updates and that didnt work either... its been half bricked for about a year now so any info is helpful thanks