Question Storage backup solution (what is the best option)

Feb 15, 2023
I was looking into RAID enclosures for backup but looking at the thread below I see it's probably not the best option.

My new pre-built system has, 1x SSD, 1x HDD.

Is this the best solution for me?
  • Add two identical HDD (in my case say 4TB each will do) to my system.
    (I need to check if the new system supports more HDD and has extra sata ports.)
  • Use a backup software that runs daily or every 6 hours or so.
  • Keep heavy current working files and softwares on SSD (so it's fast), and keep a backup of current files of SSD on cloud.
  • All other files (that don't need to be on SSD, and when project is finished on SSD) go on HDD. In my case I only need to keep a backup of HDD on another clone HDD.

Was reading this link too, (sorry for replying to a thread that had a solution already.)

My new pre-built system has, 1x SSD, 1x HDD.

Is this the best solution for me?
  • Add two identical HDD (in my case say 4TB each will do) to my system.
    (I need to check if the new system supports more HDD and has extra sata ports.)
  • Use a backup software that runs daily or every 6 hours or so.
  • Keep heavy current working files and softwares on SSD (so it's fast), and keep a backup of current files of SSD on cloud.
  • All other files (that don't need to be on SSD, and when project is finished on SSD) go on HDD. In my case I only need to keep a backup of HDD on another clone HDD.

Few points not clear:

What is total occupied space on your current C partition?

Is the "original copy" of your personal data on C? Elsewhere on that same drive? Or on more than one drive?

Describe generally the purpose of your "HDD". Purely "storage", no installed applications, no Windows; not needed to boot?

I assume Windows is on the SSD?

Yep; use backup software; run at your demand.

You could use imaging software for EVERYTHING. Or you could use imaging software for OS drive only and traditional non-imaging software for everything else (personal data).

I would NOT want my primary backup to be "on cloud".

For "backup" purposes, I'd avoid "cloning" (depending on your definition of "cloning".)

USAFRet

Titan
The basic concept is 3-2-1.
3 copies, on at least 2 different media, at least 1 offsite or otherwise unavailable.

My house systems back up to my NAS night or weekly, depending.
The data in the NAS backups up to other space in the NAS, weekly.
There is also an offsite copy of critical data, updated....whenever I get around to it. Quarterly or monthly.

Somewhat modified since I wrote this, but the basics.
Instead of a NAS, this could easily be done to a couple of external drives.

Storage backup solution
i keep a single backup copy of media files(audio, video, compressed files: installation packages for drivers & applications) on a single drive.
and multiple disc images of the entire OS drive that is regularly updated on two separate drives.

i use Acronis True Image for creating, maintaining and restoring images.
and just straight up copy/paste for the media files so they are readily accessible from other devices if needed.

the external USB 8TB Seagate Desktop is a great option for a backup drive which is easily portable if necessary.
plus i keep 2x 3TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs in a USB docking station for secondary backup plus extra basic storage which is also portable.
I was looking into RAID enclosures for backup
a RAID setup is not necessary in this situation and could actually lead to more issues since a single instance of data would be shared across multiple drives.
if one of the disks fails or becomes corrupt you could lose everything stored there.

Last edited: