Question Storage device (NVMe) no longer showing in BIOS

Varg7

Prominent
Dec 4, 2022
I have had my PC for about a year now, and everything has been working perfectly. I built it brand new. Roughly about 2 weeks ago, I turned it on, and it loaded directly into the BIOS rather than windows. I noticed that there was no sign of my SSD (which also has my OS installed on it) in the BIOS, it wasn't detected anywhere. So I decided to just hit restart. The same thing happened again. So I shut the PC off for 5 minutes, then started it again and this time it worked fine, but was prompting me to run windows repair etc. I guessed there might have been a problem with a recent Windows update I had done prior to this, so I decided to just do a clean windows reinstall. After that, all was well, working perfectly again.

Fast-forward 2 weeks to today, and I am back with this issue again where it's loading directly into the BIOS and not detecting my SSD. Only this time, nothing I have tried so far is fixing the problem.

Things I have tried so far:
-Taking the SSD out and putting it back in
-Trying the SSD in one of the other slots
-Reset CMOS (removed battery for 10 minutes)
-Enabling CSM
-Made sure RAM is seated correctly

Note: I was going to update the BIOS to the latest version and see if that did anything. Though I don't know if it will make a difference as it had been working fine for a year as it was.

PC Specs
-RTX 4080
-i7 12700k
-RMX 1000 PSU
-32gb DDR5 Corsair RAM
-Asus Z790p Motherboard
-Seagate FireCuda 530, 1 TB, Internal SSD, M.2 PCIe Gen4

Any suggestions or help would be really great thanks!

I have had my PC for about a year now, and everything has been working perfectly. I built it brand new. Roughly about 2 weeks ago, I turned it on, and it loaded directly into the BIOS rather than windows. I noticed that there was no sign of my SSD (which also has my OS installed on it) in the BIOS, it wasn't detected anywhere. So I decided to just hit restart. The same thing happened again. So I shut the PC off for 5 minutes, then started it again and this time it worked fine, but was prompting me to run windows repair etc. I guessed there might have been a problem with a recent Windows update I had done prior to this, so I decided to just do a clean windows reinstall. After that, all was well, working perfectly again.

Fast-forward 2 weeks to today, and I am back with this issue again where it's loading directly into the BIOS and not detecting my SSD. Only this time, nothing I have tried so far is fixing the problem.

Things I have tried so far:
-Taking the SSD out and putting it back in
-Trying the SSD in one of the other slots
-Reset CMOS (removed battery for 10 minutes)
-Enabling CSM
-Made sure RAM is seated correctly

Note: I was going to update the BIOS to the latest version and see if that did anything. Though I don't know if it will make a difference as it had been working fine for a year as it was.

PC Specs
-RTX 4080
-i7 12700k
-RMX 1000 PSU
-32gb DDR5 Corsair RAM
-Asus Z790p Motherboard
-Seagate FireCuda 530, 1 TB, Internal SSD, M.2 PCIe Gen4

Any suggestions or help would be really great thanks!
Update the bios just to get it out of the mix.

Varg7

Prominent
Dec 4, 2022
Update: latest bios is now on (version 1645). Still no luck I’m afraid. It’s only recognising the flash drive that I used to update the bios.

Varg7

Prominent
Dec 4, 2022
Yeah my thought is leaning towards the possibility that the SSD is broken. Seems odd to happen so soon though. I take real good care of the pc so it surprises me. So if it is the SSD, is there no way of getting any files or anything that were on it?

Varg7

Prominent
Dec 4, 2022
Another thing I noticed was the time and date in the bios is incorrect. I’m sure I read somewhere that this indicates an issue with the mobo battery or something. Would this have any relevance to this topic at all?