Storage Drive for DVD Collection

May 15, 2018
I have a large collection of DVDs, about 1,000. 30 of which are blue ray. I am looking for a reliable drive to hold all of the movies that allows me to easily access them on my TV. Is there a way to save the image of the movie with each disc burning to the drive for easy visual glance when going through it? Finally a SSD seems like a more relliable option but may be too expensive depending on how much storage this amount of movies may require?

Thank you for any help or advice with this matter.

Solution

I create a single ISO file from each DVD. It is the same consumed space as the physical DVD.
3-4-5-7GB. Blurays, obviously, will be larger.

Compression = loss of clarity. Done correctly, you might not notice. But drive space is cheap.

USAFRet

Titan

SSD is FAR too expensive for that. And not needed.

1,000 videos.
Assume average of 5GB each. That's 5TB of drive space.
2 x 6, 8, 10TB drives would work for this.1 to hold the stuff and 1 for backup.
$150-$200 each.

8TB of SSD would cost close to $2,000.

USAFRet

Titan

While a NAS box is a good solution (I have one) it is absolutely NOT needed here.

Thinking of the storage space required ... you haven't mentioned if you are copying the dvds and blu rays or ... ripping them into a different (and presumably more compact format)?

USAFRet

Titan

I create a single ISO file from each DVD. It is the same consumed space as the physical DVD.
3-4-5-7GB. Blurays, obviously, will be larger.

Compression = loss of clarity. Done correctly, you might not notice. But drive space is cheap.

Solution