Storage for 10 HDDs: what's the best solution?

Apr 20, 2018
Hi!

I would like to build a system with 10 hard drives: 1 for OS, 1 for extra data, and 8 for data (using some ZFS/Raid-z something...).

Initially I'm considering 2 scenarios:

1) Intel NUC with one or two MediaSonic Probox enclosure;

2) Some mATX motherboard with 10 sata ports and some desktop enclosure with enough HDDs bays.

Beyond this two options, what more do you recommend, excluding the obvious NAS (Synology, for example) solution?

Thanks.
Regards.

there were a few c2750 series Atom based mainboards with 8 cores and 12 SATA ports for perhaps $400 or so...

There are newer C3750 16 core Atoms for $1000...

Serve the Home has several articles on a wide variety of server motherboards wtih 10-12 SATA ports...

https://www.servethehome.com/category/server-parts/motherboards/

Otherwise, it might be cheaper to simply add a pair of 4 or 8 SATA channel host bus adapters in an X4 slot or two...

Apr 20, 2018

Hi!

Thanks for reply.

And what about cases, closures and so on? Which are the options to accomodate so many HDDs?

Regards.

Apr 20, 2018

Currently that's what I have: 1 for OS, 1 for general data, 4 for data (RAID5/zfs-2) and another set of 4 for manual mirroring with lsyncd.

My idea is to turn this in something more "professional"...

USAFRet

Titan

That's what I have in my NAS box.
4 x 4TB Ironwolfs.

czamana, this is the product manual of the drive you are looking into and click here for different versions. Is there anything else we can help you with?