[SOLVED] Storage for Multimedia / Plex Server

Dec 20, 2020
Hey,
I'm planning to set up a Plex server. It will be based on an Intel NUC, which has some server logging and monitoring tasks anyway. But the NUC is bored, so I put a Plex server on it and it works wonderfully.

But now I need a storage solution. Initially, the plan was to use a Western Digital My Book Duo Gen2 8TB system.
But then I found this video:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uouWp0Xq9s

And yes... the server system is in my office, I suspect that this volume will become very annoying at some point. Does anyone have any better ideas?
It should be a storage solution including backups.

Solution
WINE is just a layer on top of Linux, to run Windows only applications.

Plex can run natively on Linux. No WINE needed.

Storage? Any USB thing of applicable size.
You can get an 8TB Seagate external for about $125.
2 of those would work nicely. 1 for actual files, 1 to as a baskup.

For the backup situation, don't rely on whatever might be built into something like that WD you linked.
In Windows, a tool like Macrium Reflect.
Linux has its own built in backup tools.
Dec 20, 2020
Hey,
what exactly is unclear? I'm just looking for a storage solution for my Plex-Nuc. The system up and running, yes :)
I just need a storage solution for the Plex multimedia files.

Dec 20, 2020
Okay I understand :)
Currently only a 500 GB SanDisk Ultra 3D is installed for the operating system and the software. The system runs Windows 10, I'm thinking about switching to Wine but I'm not sure yet, so far Windows 10.
The storage I am looking for is only for multimedia files that can be accessed and played via Plex.

USAFRet

Titan
WINE is just a layer on top of Linux, to run Windows only applications.

Plex can run natively on Linux. No WINE needed.

Storage? Any USB thing of applicable size.
You can get an 8TB Seagate external for about $125.
2 of those would work nicely. 1 for actual files, 1 to as a baskup.

For the backup situation, don't rely on whatever might be built into something like that WD you linked.
In Windows, a tool like Macrium Reflect.
Linux has its own built in backup tools.

Solution
Dec 20, 2020
Okay, thank you very much. A long lifetime is important to me, so I would like to know what you can recommend for my purpose :) And maybe not as loud as the Western Digital My Book Duo :D

So you can recommend Seagate external HDDs? Is there a particular model that I should consider?

USAFRet

Titan
Okay, thank you very much. A long lifetime is important to me, so I would like to know what you can recommend for my purpose :) And maybe not as loud as the Western Digital My Book Duo :D

So you can recommend Seagate external HDDs? Is there a particular model that I should consider?
In the context of a single drive, lifespan is sort of irrelevant.
All current consumer grade drives are pretty much the same, within a percentage point or two of "reliability".
We can't say that "this brand" or "that model" will have a longer life than all the others.

Of course, there are outliers among ALL makes and models.
Coming off the same assembly line on the same day, some may last 20 years. Some may die after 2 months.
The important thing is to not have any data living on only one physical device.

A dead drive should never be more than a minor inconvenience.