[SOLVED] Storage HDD making alot of noise while gaming

salawow

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2014
Hi

I currently have a SSD where windows, programs and games are installed, and a HDD that i use for storage. Problem is, whenever i'm gaming, my HDD keeps making noise as if it was heavily reading/writing, which is annoying. I don't understand why it does that as it is only used for storage. (Just want to mention that it's really the HDD that is making the noise and not a fan)

Any ideas why it does that ?

Solution
WIndows does various file indexing, and potentially even defragging, whenever it so chooses....

If you have a 5.25" (DVD/BluRay sized( external drive bay, Icy DOck makes a single bay that has individual power/eject switches for two drives, a 3.5" and a 2.5"...

Certainly, with power off, it will make no noise. :)

(Alternatively, you could, within device manager, choose the drive in question, right click on it, and disable the device for as long as you wish.)
WIndows does various file indexing, and potentially even defragging, whenever it so chooses....

If you have a 5.25" (DVD/BluRay sized( external drive bay, Icy DOck makes a single bay that has individual power/eject switches for two drives, a 3.5" and a 2.5"...

(Alternatively, you could, within device manager, choose the drive in question, right click on it, and disable the device for as long as you wish.)

Solution

Recker Code-1

Prominent
Dec 30, 2020
The best way is first check the pc is clean after that look at task manager for detail information what really happening in it. PID event viewer
install latest driver for ntfs sometimes if it's keep going on then it will damage the physical memory of hdd better take a look.

Recker Code-1

Prominent
Dec 30, 2020

it won't because everytime he has use to hdd he need to unable it but while defragging it might use 100% disk drive but won't make any noise