[SOLVED] Storage HDD migration to NVME: Clone

slyfox8900

Reputable
May 28, 2017
Hi,
I've posted on a few forums about this and haven't gotten any real instructions or advice that works so Im hoping you guys can help me!

So here's my situation. I have 4 SSD's in my pc and 2 HDDs.

1 of the Samsung Sata SSD's is my OS drive, and I use one of the HDD's (1tb WD Blue) as my program installation drives and for games.

What I want to do is copy my 1TB WD Blue drive to my new NVME 1tb Drive, and start using the WD Blue as a storage drive for photos, downloads and videos.

I currently have installed, Acronis True Image, and there is a clone drive option in the tools. Can I use this to clone my F:/ Drive (wd blue) to my NVME? And have all my programs/games from the WD blue now work flawlessly on the NVME?

I've done all the steps in True Image before the final one to start the copy process, just to see what its going to do, its going to rename the NVME to drive "G:/" and not the same drive "F:/" as the wd blue drive currently is. My concern with this, is that windows (c/drive) will not recognize that the wd blue has moved to the nvme and I'll have to just re-install everything, and i have alot on there that I dont want to re-install.

Can I do the clone process, then format the WD blue drive and give it a new partition and new drive letter, and then change the NVME to be drive F and have windows recognize all the files and programs there as if they never changed? Will the programs still work and save data to the appdata folder on my C/drive as they are now?

Sorry this is my first time trying this so I was just curious.

If anyone has any advice, and if possible, could you outline the procedure for me that would do what Im trying to achieve if its even possible?

Last edited:
Solution
For a drive that does NOT have the OS on it, no cloning needed.

Copy the data to the new drive with the exact same folder structure.
Give the new drive the same drive letter as the old one had.

The OS drive will never know the difference. Except for the speed.

USAFRet

Titan
For a drive that does NOT have the OS on it, no cloning needed.

Copy the data to the new drive with the exact same folder structure.
Give the new drive the same drive letter as the old one had.

The OS drive will never know the difference. Except for the speed.

Reactions: slyfox8900
Solution