[SOLVED] Storage on C Drive decreasing at a rapid rate

Jan 15, 2019
hey guys, I'm sure you get this question a lot so I'm gonna cut to the chase:
basically, whenever I open the "Computer" screen, the storage at C is always a little bit smaller. I've rapidly opened it about 30-40 times (I estimate) in a minute, only to see the amount of space slowly but surely tick down. I was at 8.10 GB just five minutes ago, and now I'm at 7.57 GB. I'm really unsure what the problem is, and whenever I google it, something different pops up. This has been going on for a while now, a few weeks at least
So far my way of dealing with it has been to remove something I don't need, but I'm running out of things to remove. I really don't want my C partition to be filled up, and I feel helpless :(

Solution
Windows 10 downloads updates automatically and they are stored on C: before they are installed. Windows backs up OS files on C: before the update is installed. Do you have a folder named Windows.old on the C: drive? Windows.old is created when you upgrade from 1803 to 1809 so you can revert back to a previous OS version. The free space on the C: drive will always shrink. Get a larger drive. Windows.old can be removed using a function in Windows or just delete it.

DeadRam

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
Windows 10 downloads updates automatically and they are stored on C: before they are installed. Windows backs up OS files on C: before the update is installed. Do you have a folder named Windows.old on the C: drive? Windows.old is created when you upgrade from 1803 to 1809 so you can revert back to a previous OS version. The free space on the C: drive will always shrink. Get a larger drive. Windows.old can be removed using a function in Windows or just delete it.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan

What size is this drive?
What software are you running? Look at everything.

Jan 15, 2019

512 GB, running Win7
after removing some more old portal2 beta files I had around which freed up 8 GB, it seems to have subsided entirely...for now. Though I doubt they were the cause

USAFRet

Titan

Is this an SSD?
If so, 8GB is far too little free space on that.