[SOLVED] StoreMI configuration ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

slate0

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2013
Hi, I have a compatible AMD motherboard and I am getting my first NVMe drive today.

I have done well at keeping my "OS" drive small, below 500 GB for several years.

My new drive is 1TB and I am thinking about dedicating a partition of it (maybe 500GB) to StoreMI. The other partition would be my OS.

I have several very large spinning disks in my system, and I would like to see if adding StoreMI would be beneficial, but I'm not sure if 500GB would be enough space or if I would face negative consequences by having it share a drive with my OS.

Thank you for any advice.

slate0

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2013
Why does it matter? Might the NVMe not be fast enough?

The NVMe drive is WD_Black SN750 SE 1TB.

The OS host drive is a Samsung 850 Evo 500GB 2.5" drive connected via SATA.. The other disks are WD blue and green drives.

Going by "back of the box" specs I'm looking at 6 x faster speeds with the NVMe over SSD, which should be a boost unless they found a way to really skew the numbers.

Last edited:

slate0

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2013
Ok, I know you're used to dealing with noobs, but <Mod Edit>.

What's on the HDDs? Apps and data. Surprise!

The ONLY thing I can see is that maybe StoreMI would re-cache my OS files, and it's a waste because the OS is already on the fast drive and we're just doing double the work. But I already told you that in my first post.

If that's the problem, the user would have to put their OS on a slow separate drive on purpose in order to avoid keeping two copies of files on the same drive? Fine, sounds like StoreMI would have some big caveats.

Last edited by a moderator:

USAFRet

Titan
What's on the HDDs? Apps and data. Surprise!
Maybe you'll eventually read this.

You asked if that 500GB would be a good configuration.

I asked, because what often ends up on the HDD in a system like this is stuff that is wasted with a StoreMi.
Video, music, etc.

Devoting 500GB of NVMe space for your movie/music collection is a total waste of 500GB on that NVMe.
A 90 minute movie still takes 90 minutes to watch.

"Apps" on the HDD?
Why not just install those on the SSD's?

Not everything that exists is a good tool, or useful in all situations.
In the face of ever cheaper SSD's, StoreMi is rapidly becoming one of those things.

Status
Not open for further replies.