Question Strange Artifacting

Ghost Ptodigy

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2015
Hello, so a few months ago I began having random instances of artifacts appear. However I've noticed that artifacts never appear in game and only on windows such as chrome, windows menu, etc.

Some things to note:
  • There's been no hardware changes prior to the first instance of experiencing artifacts
  • There's no consistency to the appearance of these artifacts and occurs approximately once or twice every 2 weeks.
  • A restart has always alleviated the issue until the next instance in a week or so
  • Issue still persists after swapping gpu's (rtx 3070 to rtx 3080ti)
Hopefully someone can provide a few potential culprits with the information above!

Computer specs:
  • i9-9900k
  • rtx 3080 ti
  • strix z390-i gaming
  • 16gb ddr4 3200mhz
  • 650w PSU
Screenshots of the artifacts:
https://freeimage.host/i/H9xFyRR
https://freeimage.host/i/H9xFbUJ

(Disabling hardware acceleration on chrome got rid of the artifacts seen in the first 2 images without having to restart the pc)

Ghost Ptodigy

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2015
Hello, so a few months ago I began having random instances of artifacts appear. However I've noticed that artifacts never appear in game and only on windows such as chrome, windows menu, etc.

Some things to note:
  • There's been no hardware changes prior to the first instance of experiencing artifacts
  • There's no consistency to the appearance of these artifacts and occurs approximately once or twice every 2 weeks.
  • A restart has always alleviated the issue until the next instance in a week or so
  • Issue still persists after swapping gpu's (rtx 3070 to rtx 3080ti)
Hopefully someone can provide a few potential culprits with the information above!

Computer specs:
  • i9-9900k
  • rtx 3080 ti
  • strix z390-i gaming
  • 16gb ddr4 3200mhz
  • 650w PSU
Screenshots of the artifacts:
https://freeimage.host/i/H9xFyRR
https://freeimage.host/i/H9xFbUJ

(Disabling hardware acceleration on chrome got rid of the artifacts seen in the first 2 images without having to restart the pc)
Hey there,

The 3080ti requires a minimum of 750w PSU. It has power spikes that push past 500-550w easy. I'm surprised you're not getting any crashes in mid game.

I'd start there and swap it out for something more capable.

In terms of the glitches, are all system drivers/gpu drivers up to date? What bios are you running.

Have you done the simple stuff, like swap out cables, and try different ports?

Hey there,

The 3080ti requires a minimum of 750w PSU. It has power spikes that push past 500-550w easy. I'm surprised you're not getting any crashes in mid game.
This, however, is not the problem they are having and they explicitly stated that they do not have ANY problems in-game. So, probably better let's focus on the problem they are actually having, although I agree that the PSU is absolutely underpowered and considering the known problems this generation has with power spikes I too am pretty surprised they haven't had problems in that regard. But, I think it likely that these are separate problems. Especially since they've encountered the same problem with both an RTX 3070 and the 3080 ti, and the 3070 does not require more than a good 600w unit, with that 650w Seasonic certainly being enough for that 3070.

Getting a larger capacity model of good quality should be a priority though if they are going to continue using the 3080 ti in the future.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
This, however, is not the problem they are having and they explicitly stated that they do not have ANY problems in-game. So, probably better let's focus on the problem they are actually having, although I agree that the PSU is absolutely underpowered and considering the known problems this generation has with power spikes I too am pretty surprised they haven't had problems in that regard. But, I think it likely that these are separate problems. Especially since they've encountered the same problem with both an RTX 3070 and the 3080 ti, and the 3070 does not require more than a good 600w unit, with that 650w Seasonic certainly being enough for that 3070.

Getting a larger capacity model of good quality should be a priority though if they are going to continue using the 3080 ti in the future.

Don't disagree. I was only pointing out the obvious for the OP regarding the underpowered PSU.

It's possible they are separate issues, which is why I suggested checking all drivers are up to date, and doing the basics of swapping out cables, and trying other ports, and to look at a bios update if needed. Doing the basic troubleshooting firstly. Running an older bios can be problematic. Newer versions often bring bug fixes for GPU's, among other things, which I'm sure you're aware of, but maybe not the OP.

Last edited:

Ghost Ptodigy

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2015
Was this 3080 ti purchased new or did you buy it from somebody used?

Are you using HDMI or Displayport? Have you tried a different output from the graphics card, or a different cable, or a different cable TYPE?

The 3080ti was purchased as lightly used and the temps never surpass 70c. However as stated before this issue existed with an rtx 3070, AND different monitors. (current monitor has gsync)

In all instances I've only used the display port output on both the rtx 3070 and 3080ti. I've actually just swapped the display port cable which unfortunately hasn't resolved this issue.

It is possible that my bios is outdated by a year or so however I'd have to check. I appreciate all the help regardless!

My question is, if we take the gpu out of the equation are there any other factors which can result in these artifacts?

Last edited:
The 3080ti is lightly used and the temps never surpass 70c. However as stated before this issue existed with an rtx 3070, AND different monitors. (current monitor has gsync)

In all instances I've only used the display port output on both the rtx 3070 and 3080ti. I've actually just swapped the display port cable which unfortunately hasn't resolved this issue.

It is possible that my bios is outdated by a year or so however I'd have to check. I appreciate all the help regardless!

My question is, if we take the gpu out of the equation are there any other factors which can result in these artifacts?

The bios. Possible socket issues, mobo problems or monitor. Whilst I wouldn't attribute this issue as a ram problem, you can rule that out by testing with memtest86+ outside of the Windows environment. Run it for 4 passes. Should be 0 (Zero) errors.

Can you try an HDMI cable? You might be limited to 120hz at 1080p or something, but just to see if the artefacts stop.

Ghost Ptodigy

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2015
The bios. Possible socket issues, mobo problems or monitor. Whilst I wouldn't attribute this issue as a ram problem, you can rule that out by testing with memtest86+ outside of the Windows environment. Run it for 4 passes. Should be 0 (Zero) errors.

Can you try an HDMI cable? You might be limited to 120hz at 1080p or something, but just to see if the artefacts stop.
Sure, motherboard, CPU, drivers, cable, monitor.

Just updated my bios, seems like it was 2 years out of date. I'll definitely try switching to an hdmi cable once the issue occurs again and see if the artifacts still appear

Unfortunately there's no consistency to when these artifacts appear so I can't trigger them and begin experimenting. Thank you both for the help and I'll keep you guys updated once I get another instance of artifacts.

Last edited: