Question Strange "Buzzing" Sound - Only in 3D Environment Games ?

May 13, 2023
I am experiencing a strange buzzing sound coming from my PC, but it only occurs when I am playing 3D games. The games I have tested include Horizon Zero Dawn, League of Legends (LoL), and Genshin Impact.

In Genshin Impact and Horizon Zero Dawn, I hear the buzzing noise specifically when I am controlling my character on the screen. However, the problem disappears as soon as I open the map, during load screens, or when navigating through menus. Essentially, the sound only occurs when I am in a 3D environment. Additionally, the buzzing noise changes when I move my mouse to look around. Despite attempting to cap the FPS (frames per second) and enabling V-sync, the sound continues to persist.

On the other hand, in League of Legends, this sound is not present regardless of the FPS settings.
I am using an RX 6800 video card, and I have already installed the latest drivers available.

Last edited:

Crowii

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2014
Sounds like you're just describing coil whine. Can simply google "RX 6800 coil whine" and you'll get some examples. This can be the case with basically any high end GPU, and sometimes it's because of the GPU/PSU combo.

Not inherently dangerous (and some don't even take GPUs back as RMA for this), but the sound can be annoying.

Reactions: helper800