Question Strange Graphics Card Issue

Apr 20, 2022
Hi, hoping for someone with technical expertise on graphics cards to lend an opinion if possible please?

I have an INNO3D RTX3080 IChill X3, it is out of warranty due to me opening it to fit an Eisblock, water block. (INNO3D invalidates warranty on any opened card)

I used it for mining partially, it ran hot on the GPU hotspot, measured using HWInfo. Hot spot regularly sat at 96 t0 99 degrees. I opened it and replaced pads etc but it did not help. I replaced pump to one with higher flow, it made no difference as perhaps the component measured was not cooled by the block.

After two weeks mining, the card suddenly developed issues, artifacts, loss of VGA output and eventually system would not boot, giving a 97 (no VGA) Bios code. I tried to RMA, nope! I sent it to a repairer who basically robbed me of £99 and did nothing more than run HWInfo on it. He concluded a GPU or Memory issue and fixed nothing. INNO3D wont touch it.

Once I got the card back, I rebuilt it once more, new paste, new thermal pads, all original housing (no water block) and now it works! ....kind of...

The card will benchmark (Over 17800 total score on Timespy), it will complete and pass the Timespy stress test. I have monitored it with GPUz to measure Perfcap, it is green all the way with the only limitation being pwr. It plays games at previous framerates, no artifacts or stuttering, so has no loss of performance I conclude.

Temperature wise, the card gets up to around 75 degrees GPU and Memory and up to 96 hot spot with fans at 95%. Its a hot card, always has been.

The problem now is, the card does loses VGA output after I stop gaming, stress testing or benchmarking. Its consistent and only a full system reboot restores it. The loss of VGA is to both monitors, which are attached via DP, I have tried HDMI, its the same. When this happens, the card is at normal ambient temperature across the card, including hotspot. It only happens AFTER being put under load and only once it has cooled down. from a running temp to its normal ambient temp.

Using it for youtube, internet etc, does not reproduce fault. I have to stress the card first.

I have latest Nvidia drivers, installed after DDU, Latest motherboard Bios, have the card running with High performance in NVCP, using a ultra high performance power profile, have also run it at default settings. I use afterburner to make a custom fan curve, it also has an auto O/C curve, I have tested with these mild overclocks and also set to default, the result is the same.

I have tried onboard graphics and a different graphics card (RTX 3070ti) , they do not have this issue, so I believe I have isolated it to the INNO3D card.

System:

I9 12900k Water cooled with Corsair custom loop.
Gigabyte Aorus Master Z690
Corsair 5800mhz DDR5 32GB
Western Digital Black SSD's.
Corsair HX1000i PSU.
Lian Li Dynamic Evo case with 6x 120mm corsair fans.
INNO3D Ichill X3 RTX3080 GPU

I would be really interested to know what could cause this, its not temperature or software related, this is a hardware issue I believe. If I have some idea of what may be wrong, I may be able to ask someone to fix it.

Thankyou, sorry for long post

Lutfij

Titan
I read your other thread, here, and I'm sorry for what you had to go through. Though in retrospect, you should've contacted your seller and INNO3D prior to replacing the cooling assembly with a waterblock. Some regions tend to void your warranty once the sticker is tampered with, which is a good reason not to inflict anything on said sticker.

As for your GPU, mining on it will only cause the issue that you've mentioned above. Some tend to fail faster than others but the fact of the matter is that the load induced on a GPU while mining is unlike that when it's taxed with games or a stress testing app, which is why you need to manually set the speed for your fan to high when you're mining. The GPU is beyond repair...no soldering iron in the world will fix the issue you're stating.

Reactions: KyaraM
Apr 20, 2022
Hi Lutfi,

You say I should have contacted them prior to fitting waterblock, contact them for what? They would not honour a warranty claim regardless. Once the card was opened to change thermal pads, the warranty was void.

When I mined, I was using water block, setting a custom fan curve was not an option as there was no fan. The pump was set to run at 100% however. The card hotspot was no cooler under the waterblock interestingly.

Interesting that you sat the GPU is beyond repair, do you know what component is causing the issue?

KyaraM

Admirable
Hi Lutfi,

You say I should have contacted them prior to fitting waterblock, contact them for what? They would not honour a warranty claim regardless. Once the card was opened to change thermal pads, the warranty was void.

When I mined, I was using water block, setting a custom fan curve was not an option as there was no fan. The pump was set to run at 100% however. The card hotspot was no cooler under the waterblock interestingly.

Interesting that you sat the GPU is beyond repair, do you know what component is causing the issue?
Contaxt them to confirm warranty would be my guess, so you won'tdo something like this without knowing. And, what? Of course there have to be fans with that AIO... how else would it have worked at all? The heat has to be gotten out of the system somehow after all.

Also, as said before, you broke it. Wouldn't get warranty anyways, removed cooler or no, no matter what due to using it for mining. No retailer nor manufacturer does that. That's why I would never even consider mining, especially not on your main rig... all you can do is get a new card here. And not mine again.

Apr 20, 2022
Contaxt them to confirm warranty would be my guess, so you won'tdo something like this without knowing. And, what? Of course there have to be fans with that AIO... how else would it have worked at all? The heat has to be gotten out of the system somehow after all.

Also, as said before, you broke it. Wouldn't get warranty anyways, removed cooler or no, no matter what due to using it for mining. No retailer nor manufacturer does that. That's why I would never even consider mining, especially not on your main rig... all you can do is get a new card here. And not mine again.

Dont do something like what? Void the warranty? I had full knowledge opening the card would void my warranty, not sure what this has to do with my question? Who said I used an AIO? You are making assumptions without reading my thread and wasting my time.

Thanks for the uh...advice. How I would have gone through my day without realising my card was broken, I really do not know, please tale your mining lecture to a person who cares, cheers!

KyaraM

Admirable
Dont do something like what? Void the warranty? I had full knowledge opening the card would void my warranty, not sure what this has to do with my question? Who said I used an AIO? You are making assumptions without reading my thread and wasting my time.

Thanks for the uh...advice. How I would have gone through my day without realising my card was broken, I really do not know, please tale your mining lecture to a person who cares, cheers!
it is out of warranty due to me opening it to fit an Eisblock, water block. (INNO3D invalidates warranty on any opened card)
Then what is this, because when I type that into Google, it literally shows me a water cooler, with connectors to pipes, which needs something to dump excess heat to the environment. It also has a pump, implying some sort of circulation, which again needs a way to exhaust heat since heat doesn't simply vanish and water cannot store heat indefinitely. Physics and specifically thermodynamics dictate so.

And if you don't want an opinion, don't ask for an opinion. Btw, the most common thing to break due to mining seems to be the VRAM. But since you don't care for what I say, that is also irrelevant to you.

Apr 20, 2022
I really don't know why you are trolling my thread? My question was for someone who knew about GPU hardware, to lend an opinion on what could be causing the issue. In no way and at no point di I ask for your opinion on whether I should have mined my card or whether the warranty should be valid?? Sorry if English is not your first language but I made it pretty clear I think.

As I said, I do not have an AIO, I have a custom water cooling loop, hence why I said that the fans cannot be controlled by Afterburner GPU fan control, this had nothing to do with my point hence why I said you were and still are wasting my time because you have not read my post.

I happily asked for an opinion yes, just not an opinion on whether my warranty is valid?? or if mining was a good idea??? If the sum total of your opinion was my card is broken and or that its probably the VRAM, well thanks, but I was looking for a more technical answer as both of these are well obvious, sorry. I did make it clear in my post what I was looking for, I cannot help that you did not read or understand it.