[SOLVED] Strange GTX 1080 Ti problem

Alexkaneaster

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2012
I recently purchased a 1080 Ti FTW3 from eBay. I’m replacing my sli 1070’s. With diminishing sli support, it seemed like a reasonable thing to do without building an entirely new system. I’ve got it installed and I’m having a really weird problem.

I uninstalled the drivers and installed the newest driver. Made sure Nvidia control panel was set up correctly. Rebooted a few times. When I run a game, maybe Just Cause 3, Hitman, Fallout 4, it runs seemingly well, then suddenly my framerate is cut in half. 120 fps works great, then boom 50-60 FPS. Anywhere from 5-10 minutes in and it slows down dramatically. I reload the game, go back to a previous spot, etc, nothing fixes it except a full reboot. I tried running Firestrike to troubleshoot. On the first run I’ll score in the ballpark of 20k, which seems correct. I’ll run the same thing again and get 19k. I’ll run again, changing nothing, and get 7k. I’ll run one more time, again changing nothing, and get 7k again. Full reboot and we’re back to 19-20k....and it repeats.

I’m running a 6850k on an AIO, 16GB 2666 ram, Rampage IV black, AX1200i psu. I had absolutely zero issues with anything while running my 1070’s, they were just getting old. This pc has been trouble free until now.
I uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers again, but no change. I adjusted the fan curves and monitored frequencies, etc. It all reads normal. I’m not even overclocking it, it’s pretty well OC’d out of the box. CPU temps, ram, etc all register correctly. Temps are low all around.

Do I have a bad gpu? I’ve never had this problem. It’s a weird one. I don’t want to just throw my hands up and return it, I want to know why this is happening. The seller seems legit and card is in good physical condition.

Any thoughts? This one is beyond my experience.

Solution
Perhaps you can try with GPU-Z: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/.

Download the app, Run the program and see what GPU-Z sensors indicate, specially the readings of "Name", "GPU", "memory type", "memory size" and "Bus interface".

In fact if you like to share a pic of the whole windows the better.

Alexkaneaster

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2012
I thought the same thing. I ran some tests while monitoring the max temp and it all looks good. I set an aggressive fan curve, opened the case, and temps never got above low 60’s. No temp spikes on gpu or cpu.