Question Strange hitching and stuttering on PC.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 6, 2022
Hey guys!

I've had a strange issue with stuttering on my PC for a while now.
It happens regardless of what is or isn't running, and starts on my desktop a few minutes after boot. It isn't just a visual stutter, it's the whole PC hitching. My evidence of this is both the audio and the video stop and restart at the same time.
I've recorded two brief videos of the issue. One of my cursor on a plain black desktop background. I spun my cursor in circles, so you can see whenever it stops for a second, that's a hitch. I also recorded a video playing the intro cutscene to a game so you can also get the audio aspect to it.
View: https://youtu.be/tcsLEh0wGzY

View: https://youtu.be/2hRQwvwjfXA

Here's the really weird part: It only happens when I boot my PC sometimes. So, I have what I've been calling "Good boots" and "Bad boots." If I turn on my PC for the day and the stutter starts, I got a bad boot. The stutter will go on until forever I restart my PC an undefined number of times. Once I boot up and go a few minutes without the stutter, I have a good boot. The stutter never starts until a restart the PC again. So, I been leaving my PC running overnight on "good boots" a lot.

System Specs:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 11 Pro
Version 10.0.22000 Build 22000
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name FLUFFY-PC
System Manufacturer System manufacturer
System Model System Product Name
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU SKU
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Eight-Core Processor, 3800 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 2203, 4/11/2019
SMBIOS Version 3.1
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
BIOS Mode UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
BaseBoard Product ROG CROSSHAIR VII HERO (WI-FI)
BaseBoard Version Rev 1.xx
Platform Role Desktop
Secure Boot State On
PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume3
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.22000.778"
User Name FLUFFY-PC\chubb
Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 64.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 63.9 GB
Available Physical Memory 56.0 GB
Total Virtual Memory 72.8 GB
Available Virtual Memory 62.5 GB
Page File Space 8.87 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Kernel DMA Protection Off
Virtualization-based security Running
Virtualization-based security Required Security Properties
Virtualization-based security Available Security Properties Base Virtualization Support, Secure Boot, DMA Protection, UEFI Code Readonly
Virtualization-based security Services Configured
Virtualization-based security Services Running
Device Encryption Support Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: TPM is not usable, PCR7 binding is not supported, Hardware Security Test Interface failed and device is not Modern Standby, Un-allowed DMA capable bus/device(s) detected, TPM is not usable
A hypervisor has been detected. Features required for Hyper-V will not be displayed.

Found the docp setting. Turned it on. Rebooted and went back to BIOS again to get these screenies confirming that I set DOCP but my frequency is still running at 2133.
Trimmed my startup programs a bit. Still left a few because I do use a lot of that stuff daily, but I did trim a good few. I can run benchmark again, but I still don't get what's going on with the RAM.

As for putting my RAM in Right, I got both DIMMS in A2 and B2 respectively. The only way my PC will boot. For some reason that's the primary group.
Perhaps something here may help.

https://www.google.com/search?q=how...wAHgAgAFIiAGYBpIBAjE1mAEAoAEB&sclient=gws-wiz

Its very posible that the R7 2700X can not run the RAM at 3600 MHz, another thing that may be in the way of RAM to work at DOCP settings is an old BIOS version, what version is your BIOS ? Can you post a picture of your BIOS version?

Also, Do you have a DOCP setting for 3200 MHz ?, Perhaps that one will work without issues with your R7 2700X.

Jul 6, 2022
Its very posible that the R7 2700X can not run the RAM at 3600 MHz, another thing that may be in the way of RAM to work at DOCP settings is an old BIOS version, what version is your BIOS ? Can you post a picture of your BIOS version?

Also, Do you have a DOCP setting for 3200 MHz ?, Perhaps that one will work without issues with your R7 2700X.
Aaand that's it!
Had to manually set to 32000MHz but it worked. So I guess that means a CPU upgrade is in my future at some point too.
The other thing, the hitching problem hasn't seemed to happen since I put the new RAM in. It's only been a day, but in this day I've rebooted my PC like, 20 times as part of troubleshooting and all of my boots so far have been "good boots" as per my earlier metric.
I think this might actually be solved guys!
Thanks for sticking with me!

Reactions: RodroX
Status
Not open for further replies.