Question Strange issue with either my RTX 4080 or display, regarding perceived drop in resolution and display turning off/on ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crimson42

Reputable
Oct 22, 2019
So I seem to be having an isolated issue with my new rtx 4080...randomly while playing games the display would turn off and back on as though there is a display port cable issue(loops continuously until restart of pc) ive also noticed at time when the display returns for a few seconds it is as though the res has dropped to 240p although nvp still shows 1440p...another issue is sometimes this perceived res drop will happen without the screen turning off and on and a restart or just pulling the display port cable out and reconnecting would fix the issue. So now for the tricky part this issue did not happen with my rtx 3080 and the same monitor...and im on a brand new build.

Initially i installed the 4080 on my 9900k build and i assumed its driver issues i did not use ddu as i was waiting on my new build. Once my 13900kf build arrived I did a completely clean install but the issue has persisted. The issue is also not triggered by load as cs go seems to be the number 1 culprit although it has happened most recently in RE4 Remake. The issue did not occur in full playthroughs of hogwarts legacy and witcher 3 enhanced. Stress testing using port royal has also not produced the issue. Using the snipping tool during the res drop and viewing those images after restarting the pc shows the images at their normal 1440p res. If I do RMA immediately im worried this issue will take a long time to troubleshoot as it seems to be uncommon.

Troubleshooting I've done so far:
  • Reinstalled drivers
  • Tried 2 different display port cables
  • tried the uefi firmware update
System specs:
Alienware 1440p 240hz
13900kf
Palit Rtx 4080 gamerock
360mm Fractal lumen aio
z690 aorus ultra
32gb ddr5 6000mhz
1000w 12vhpwr ud
1x 2tb nvme , 1x 1tb nvme , 2 x 1tb hdds

Update: When playing through re4 this morning the screen started to go in and out of standby once again but this time the fans went up tp 100% although afterburner showed temp as 67c.

Last edited:
Solution
I know you probably don't want to go there but have you consirded trying a fresh windows install?
Thought I should just provide an update I sent through the card for a 2nd rma and the issue was this time replicated by the seller. I was offered a replacement or credit. opted for credit and switched to another 4080 brand.

Crimson42

Reputable
Oct 22, 2019
I know you probably don't want to go there but have you consirded trying a fresh windows install?
i did do a fresh reinstall in jan when moving over to the new pc build....i noticed something else when this pixelation happened i changed the refresh rate to 144hz and back to 240hz in ncp and the image quality returned to normal...is this indicative of a monitor issue or gpu/driver?

Thought I should just provide an update I sent through the card for a 2nd rma and the issue was this time replicated by the seller. I was offered a replacement or credit. opted for credit and switched to another 4080 brand.
Very bizarre set of issues and occurrence rate. The only other thing I can think of is that the firmware (not drivers) on the card was corrupted or needed updating. Are you up and running with no issues?

Very bizarre set of issues and occurrence rate. The only other thing I can think of is that the firmware (not drivers) on the card was corrupted or needed updating. Are you up and running with no issues?
Makes stop to think, I see numerous problems submitted about the 4070 and 4070ti's. And less about the 4080's. But the common denominator for all of them is a problem working with all games and monitors. Which points to a driver problem I believe. With all the Dlss, Ai, Ray tracing updates and new games being introduced almost every day using the technology, looks like things are falling through the cracks with driver releases. IMHO.

Reactions: helper800

Crimson42

Reputable
Oct 22, 2019
So far i have been using the card since Tuesday , Not a single crash. This is on the same os build just reinstalled drivers(which I had tried with the other card). This card(4080 suprim x) also draws more power than the palit when power limit is set to max and it hasn't crashed.it does run cooler though 58c at stock and 64c when overclocked

Reactions: helper800
Status
Not open for further replies.