Strange Issue with Keyboard and RAM Errors

Jul 20, 2018
Hello,

I'm having a strange problem with my current laptop (Model: Samsung NP900x4c); and also having a very hard time diagnosing the problem. I'm really hoping that this forum could help me as there are smarter people than me in here.

Here's what's happening:

A month ago, I noticed that when my system was under heavy load (running warm & using lots of resources), that a three or four keys ("y" "k" "h") on my keyboard wouldn't function properly. By that, II mean that the key I typed wouldn't input the letter when I pressed the key. However, if I pressed it a few times it eventually would input the letter on the screen. Also, if I held the key down for a while, it would eventually type the letter.

However, this issue only seems to show up the computer has been running in Windows for a little while. When it does seem to randomly show up, just closing some programs (or restarting the system) would resolve the issue immediately. Right now I am having no problems at all with it while typing this post because the system hasn't been running for that long.

Again, The strange part about this is that it doesn't happen all the time. It only seems to happen after windows has been running for a while (w/o a power down) & when the RAM and CPU was under heavy load. Also, it's just a few keys (and always the same ones)

What I've tried in order to diagnose:
1. I tried plugging a USB keyboard in when the problem arises. USB keyboard worked fine.
2. I also tried using the on-screen keyboard when the problem arises. On-screen keyboard worked.
3. I also tried resetting the keyboard ribbon to the motherboard.
4. I also tried deleting the keyboard driver and restarting.
Note: There is no specific keyboard driver from the manufacturer for this laptop

Based on this, on paper, one might think the keyboard is bad.

However, I am still not 100% sure the keyboard is what needs to be replaced. The reason being is that only happens at random times when the laptop is under heavy load (and it runs warm/hotter). There also doesn't seem to be any problem with the with the responsiveness of the keys when it's not happening. Everything works exactly like it should when the problem isn't occuring. But whenever I start loading a bunch of tabs and a few resource intensive programs, it sporadically comes back and articles I type end up having words without the "y" "k" "h" and "v" letters in them.

I thought perhaps it might be due to a RAM issue, motherboard, or CPU issue.

So, I also tried;

1. I tried re-seating the ram in their slots.
2. I did a windows memory test and it resulted in some errors
3. I also did a RAM test with MEMTEST86 and it resulted in 101 errors.
Note: I never have any issues with blue screens, restarts, or anything of that nature.

Replacing the keyboard on this laptop isn't as simple as buying just a keyboard due to the design of this system. It would require a new base assembly for over $200 and a complete breakdown of all the components. Additionally replacing 16gb of laptop ram isn't cheap either (as it seems I am having RAM).

So, I really want to properly diagnosing the problem (if only one) before I make any decisions to buy different parts (to repair it); or decide to go buy a new laptop all together (if it's more cost effective).

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I should proceed in order to make a proper decision and not blow money on a different laptop. I also really love this laptop and don't want a new system with shitty windows 10.

Thank you so much in advance. This forum is great.

dlloyd1025

Reputable
Jul 16, 2018
One thing you can test to determine if it's a Ram or CPU being overused issue, would be to have task manager open to the performance tab. When the issue occurs, make note of what those functions display as their usage during the problem. If your CPU or RAM usage is at 100%, then you know that it's a good possibility that upgrading one or both of those should let your computer run better.

It could also be a case of the system becoming overheated, and that certainly can be known to cause many issues in laptop. Some which are hard to diagnose.

Hope this helps.

Jul 20, 2018
Thanks for the advice.

I am thinking that it could be one of the RAM sticks because it seems to only happen when RAM reaches around 8GB of use.

Even if the laptop isn't running real warm.

Jul 20, 2018
Any chance this could be caused by a faulty motherboard?

I really don't want to get into a guessing game with the hardware that needs to be replaced and waste money (which is tight right now)

I am not noticing anything consistent with regard to the CPU usage or RAM usage when it happens.

It seems to happen with the "y", "h", "k", and "x" keys. When it does happen if I cycle thought those keys (and tap them all a few times) all the keys start working again.

This happens even when I don't even move the laptop from the surface it's on.

dlloyd1025

Reputable
Jul 16, 2018
With it being such a strange issue like you have described, it is very difficult to say where the problem lies. It could be any number of things, software related (Windows problem), virus, motherboard, keyboard, etc. But before you start spending money replacing things, technical troubleshooting 101 usually is to try the simpilest fix first then go from there to more complicated or expensive things if that doesn't work.

So I would try backing up all your data and re-installing windows as a fresh install. This can usually be done either with the windows disk that came with your system, or with a system recovery partition that was pre-loaded on your system. If this does not fix the issue and it seems that it is likely a hardware issue. I don't know how old this system is, but before you start buying parts and replacing things. It might be more cost effective to just buy a whole new system, replacing components on a laptop can be very tricky especially motherboard. Not to mention if it's an old system the parts may be difficult or impossible to find replacement parts that fit.