[SOLVED] Strange issue with new build

Feb 22, 2019
Wondering if anyone has any idea's on what may be causing an issue I am having with a new build.

The issue is rather randomly the system freezes, then unfreezes - I have seen this before but never on a new build. An example of what it is doing is when I right click on an image file the wait cursor (spinning disc) comes up and can last anywhere from 10 to 60 seconds then it might behave this way until reboot or it might be fine a few minutes and then start doing it again. if it helps the GOG Galaxy programs seems to hiccup a lot one it starts acting up but in general it's things like that which are happening, doing other things can cause the same behavior like the start button, tabs on a browser etc with it seeming to "freeze" although the mouse still moves around and occasionally if you have clicked a bunch of stuff while it's "frozen" all those things happen when it "un-sticks".

This is the build.

intel Core i9-9900k
Asus Z390-e Gaming motherboard
G.SKILL Aegis 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2666 (PC4 21300) Desktop Memory Model F4-2666C19D-32GIS
HP EX900 M.2 250GB PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe 3D TLC NAND Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) 2YY43AA#ABC
Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCI-Express 3.0 x4 3D NAND Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) SSDPEKNW010T8X1
GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2060 GAMING OC PRO 6G Graphics Card, 3 x WINDFORCE Fans, 6GB 192-Bit GDDR6, GV-N2060GAMINGOC
Rosewill 850watt Bronze power supply

I have it setup with the HP M.2 as the OS drive running Windows 10 Pro (fresh install) in the M.2 Slot right under the CPU and the Intel 1TB M.2 as a storage / steam drive

It has a 240mm AIO coolmaster cooler and the temps look fine on both CPU and Graphics card.

I have swapped the ram out with these: G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model and the same thing occurred. I have the memory in the A2 and B2 slots as specified in the MB Manual. I have also reset the bios to default a couple of time, no change. All drivers are up to date and the current bios is installed.

I am at a loss but would prefer not to RMA this stuff if I can get it figured out.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Solution
Last year about this time I built an i7 8700k rig with an Asus Strix RoG Z370-H mother board. It had ram slot problems I couldn't figure out. Installed the latest bios and drivers, tested each stick of ram and retraced everything I did. So I called Asus to help trouble shoot it and they said to RMA the board. Get this. They sent my board back with 'ALL' the bugs worked out (with a newer bios). Their reply, "We couldn't find the problem you mentioned on this motherboard". Phifft! Go figure.
Hope you get things worked out.

Rexer

Distinguished
Last year about this time I built an i7 8700k rig with an Asus Strix RoG Z370-H mother board. It had ram slot problems I couldn't figure out. Installed the latest bios and drivers, tested each stick of ram and retraced everything I did. So I called Asus to help trouble shoot it and they said to RMA the board. Get this. They sent my board back with 'ALL' the bugs worked out (with a newer bios). Their reply, "We couldn't find the problem you mentioned on this motherboard". Phifft! Go figure.
Hope you get things worked out.

Solution
Feb 22, 2019
I hear you - especially if it's a board, it could be each part tests ok but in whole maybe not. I decided to try again and so far so good so I am starting to think it is either Asus Aura or the AISuite/FanXpert software that may have been causing the issue but Newegg is supposed to call tomorrow and if they cannot fix it then at least I won't get hit with 15% restock fee and then I think instead of a swap for the 9900k, I think I will go with a TR2950x since this build is more a workstation that I want to play some games on, not a gaming PC I want to do occasional work on...