[SOLVED] Strange issue with PC freezing and artifacts on desktop

Jun 21, 2020
The Issue: When I boot up my PC, the fans will spin much louder than normal and I will not have any video signal until I get to the Windows log in page (can't access BIOS). Once I get to the login page, the fans will ramp down to normal levels, however, after around 5-10 minutes the PC will artifact and freeze requiring a hard restart. It will freeze no matter what I'm doing: playing games, browsing internet, etc.
a3ufgGw.jpg

The Cause: To tie myself over until I do a full rebuild at the end of the year, I decided to make 2 questionable upgrades that marked the start of the issue I just described.
  1. I added an 8gb stick of DDR3L 1600mhz Hynix ram I had from another PC to my 2x4gb Kingston Hyperx 1600mhz DDR3 kit. The Hynix product page said that the DDR3L is backwards compatible with DDR3.
  2. I bought a used GTX 1070 to replace my GTX 770
As a side note my CPU has been overheating lately (over 90 degrees in games), I think just needs to have thermal paste reapplied but I thought I should mention it.

Things I've Tried:
  • Updating GPU drivers
  • Manually setting the ram timings in the BIOS
  • Undervolting GPU
  • Removing the DDR3L stick and only using the original ram that I had
  • Running Memtest
Temporary Fixes: There's a few things that I can do that will allow me to use my computer without issues but it always comes back eventually. If I just turn my computer back on after it freezes it will usually do the same thing again and freeze after 5-10 mins.
  • Unplug the DisplayPort cable from my graphics card and use an HDMI instead, this strangely usually allows my computer to boot up normally (fans aren't super loud, can access BIOS). Then once I get back into Windows, I can unplug the HDMI and replug the DisplayPort cable back in and I won't have any issues. I can play games for as long as I want and my computer won't freeze or artifact.
  • Unplug my monitors power cable and wait about a minute. This usually allows me to reboot my computer without changing the DisplayPort cable for HDMI. I really don't know how the monitor relates to the issue but it seems to help by unplugging it. Again, this is only a temporary fix and after a couple reboots, the fans will spin up loud and the freezing/artifacts will happen again.
  • If I put my old GTX 770 back in the problem seems to go away so I'm assuming the issue is involving the 1070.

This is a really strange issue to me as it seems like its a faulty GPU, but if I can get my PC to boot up normally then it will run games totally fine and seem as if there's no issues at all. It's also weird that using HDMI or unplugging my monitor for a bit allows for a normal boot, maybe the issue is power related? If the GPU is the issue, is there any way to fix it or am I screwed since I bought it used?

Any help would be much appreciated since I'm at a complete loss at this point.

Specs:
Intel Core i5-3570k
Gigabyte Windforce GTX 770 (upgraded to Zotac GTX 1070 mini)
8GB Kingston Hyperx Black DDR3 1600mhz 1.65v (added 8GB Hynix DDR3L 1600mhz)
Asus P8Z77 V PRO Motherboard
Antec High Current Gamer 750W PSU
Samsung 128gb SSD
1 TB WD Blue HDD
3TB Seagate HDD

Solution
First, the temp of your cpu is a little insane, no cpu should reach that high!
You must buy a better cooler for your cpu.
Then, if the problem persists, you check temps of your new graphics card, real temps, not software. If it is hot, cool it. Test this: take 1-2 12v 120mm strong fans and try to cool the graphics card and see if the problem goes away or is happening later than usual.
I believe that either your new used graphics card is damaged or is getting too hot to operate correctly. Also remember to cool the graphics card memory too, it's important :) good luck!

Teran1982

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2013
Then, if the problem persists, you check temps of your new graphics card, real temps, not software. If it is hot, cool it. Test this: take 1-2 12v 120mm strong fans and try to cool the graphics card and see if the problem goes away or is happening later than usual.
I believe that either your new used graphics card is damaged or is getting too hot to operate correctly. Also remember to cool the graphics card memory too, it's important :) good luck!

Solution

Teran1982

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2013

If you don't have 2 fans to use, use a hair blower on cold setting or an electric pump for beds (the loud ones!!) they blow air fast

AngelJin

Commendable
Jun 19, 2020
Maybe the cable is problematic or the gpu port,switch to hdmi . Also a tip never plug a cable in ur gpu if ur system has power even if its off u need to unplug the psu or turn it off cause it have chances to dmg the port..
Graphic chip overheating. If after the “cold” start of you computer, artifacts do not appear on the screen, and after 5-10 minutes of operation they arise, then most likely you are facing problems with graphic chip cooling. Perhaps the graphic card cooler is clogged with dust, the thermal paste has dried or other problems have occurred. Full article HeRe.

Jun 21, 2020
If you don't have 2 fans to use, use a hair blower on cold setting or an electric pump for beds (the loud ones!!) they blow air fast
I haven't gotten a new CPU cooler yet but I tried blowing the GPU with cold air from a hair dryer and the first time it seemed to last longer before artifacting but then I restarted and tried again and it artifacted quickly. Then I shut down my PC and unplugged the power and touched the GPU, it didn't seem hot anywhere.

Jun 21, 2020
Maybe the cable is problematic or the gpu port,switch to hdmi . Also a tip never plug a cable in ur gpu if ur system has power even if its off u need to unplug the psu or turn it off cause it have chances to dmg the port..
Graphic chip overheating. If after the “cold” start of you computer, artifacts do not appear on the screen, and after 5-10 minutes of operation they arise, then most likely you are facing problems with graphic chip cooling. Perhaps the graphic card cooler is clogged with dust, the thermal paste has dried or other problems have occurred. Full article HeRe.
I'd use HDMI but I need DisplayPort for my 144hz GSync monitor. Maybe I'll try taking the GPU cooler off, cleaning it fully, and reapplying thermal paste. But just the fact that it works with HDMI makes me think that it's not a temperature issue.

AngelJin

Commendable
Jun 19, 2020
Well i had the opposite issue wheni used a hdmi in my rtx 2070 and set the monitor to 120 mhz i get strange behavior turn off freezes and some artifacts. When i use the hdmi at 60 hz all was good. The dp cable had not issues in any hz. I have a 144 hz monitor. Go to nvidia control panel and check ur resolution maybe that cause u the problem.

Teran1982

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2013
I haven't gotten a new CPU cooler yet but I tried blowing the GPU with cold air from a hair dryer and the first time it seemed to last longer before artifacting but then I restarted and tried again and it artifacted quickly. Then I shut down my PC and unplugged the power and touched the GPU, it didn't seem hot anywhere.

You may try same thing with hair dryer on the cpu.. Also make sure that the cooler has good contact with the cpu lid. Also keep in mind that, even when playing the same game on the same settings, different gpus might strain differently your cpu. I believe either newer gpu is internally damaged or is too much for your cpu to handle temp-wise.