[SOLVED] Strange lags out of nowhere while playing games

Sangres

Prominent
Jul 1, 2021
Problem: Hello everyone, on some games that i play i sometimes get very strange lag spikes out of nowhere, for example, while playing GTA Online, game runs perfectly on decent FPS, but after 10-30 minutes i get 1FPS for few seconds and my audio gets choppy, then it returns to normal, i have similar problem with Escape From Tarkov, i play for some time and everything is fine and smooth with 130FPS, then my game freezes for 10-20 seconds and then it continues really badly.

My PC Specs are:
CPU: AMD FX-8300
GPU: AMD RX 570
SSD: Patriot Burst 240GB
Motherboard: GA-970A-DS3P
RAM: 2 Sticks of 2GB RAM
1 Stick of 4GB RAM
1st monitor: VG258 running at FullHD 166hz
2nd monitor: S22F350 running at FullHD 60hz
Additional info:
My GPU Driver is up to date
I have noticed that whenever this lag happend in GTA my GPU utilization drops to 0%
CPU runs at 50-60°C while idle and 75-80°C while in game
GPU runs at 45-50°C while idle and around 75°C while in game

Sangres

Prominent
Jul 1, 2021
Don't use HWmonitor, it's notorious for showing wrong values.

Get HWinfo64 https://www.hwinfo.com/download/

Yeah, you should change paste every 2-3 years. It gets caked. Get a coffee paper filter to scrape off the old paste. There should be Youtube videos about it.
Allright, so, in conclusion games get really laggy because my CPU is overheating?
I'll change the paste pretty soon, ill get back if the problem persists.
Thanks

Sangres

Prominent
Jul 1, 2021
allright, i just checked temps while playing using AMD's OverDrive and HWinfo and both were showing i was gaming on 58°C, so temp should be all good, but i noticed Frequencies and Voltages drop by a bit on few cores from time to time, i searched up that my VRM (Voltage Regulator Module) might be overheating, any idea how to fix it?

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
allright, i just checked temps while playing using AMD's OverDrive and HWinfo and both were showing i was gaming on 58°C, so temp should be all good, but i noticed Frequencies and Voltages drop by a bit on few cores from time to time, i searched up that my VRM (Voltage Regulator Module) might be overheating, any idea how to fix it?

Might help if you placed a 120mm fan over the VRM somehow, with zipties. But I don't know. That motherboard sounds familiar to me, maybe I had one. In the end I got an Asus Sabertooth for my fx-8350. Better VRM and everything else. It's really pricey still, like 150 $. More phases on the VRM, theoretically, should mean theres more modules the heat is spread over and therefor cooler VRM. Maybe I'm wrong.

In general, if the VRM overheats, you get a better motherboard.

Found something: https://linustechtips.com/topic/284926-gigabyte-ga-970a-ds3p-rev-20/ Check i_build-nanosuits post.

"The DS3p is a weak 4+1 motherboard i really don't recommend it for an 8 core FX CPU...the UD3p is a good budget 8+2 motherboard but if you can't find it look for the others i've mentionned they are pretty much the cheapest boards available that are good enough to support and overclock an FX 8 core CPU. "

The others..."Look for the MSI 970 Gaming, asus M5A97 EVO or Asrock 970 Performance"

Last edited: