Question Strange networking issue ?

Mar 7, 2024
I installed a POS today. The network is usually a server (does the IP configuring) connected to a switch near the server and the POS connects to that switch and could be located just about anywhere. This specific POS is approximately 75 feet from server and switch. I ran a cat 6 cable, terminated it on both ends per usual, connected one end at switch and other end to POS. Noticed I was getting no activity at switch or POS Ethernet port. The cable checks good and shows that all 8 wires are in correct order, the weird thing is that if I put another switch at the POS both switches immediately start communicating, and when I connect the POS to that switch the POS gets a connection and communicates with server. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this issue?

kanewolf

Titan
I installed a POS today. The network is usually a server (does the IP configuring) connected to a switch near the server and the POS connects to that switch and could be located just about anywhere. This specific POS is approximately 75 feet from server and switch. I ran a cat 6 cable, terminated it on both ends per usual, connected one end at switch and other end to POS. Noticed I was getting no activity at switch or POS Ethernet port. The cable checks good and shows that all 8 wires are in correct order, the weird thing is that if I put another switch at the POS both switches immediately start communicating, and when I connect the POS to that switch the POS gets a connection and communicates with server. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this issue?
Is the cable 100% copper or is it CCA?

Mar 7, 2024
The wire in question is Vertical Cable cat-6 CMR rated and solid bare copper. I’ve used this stuff for a long time, it is a new box though.

This is where those affordable cable testers show why professionals that can afford a $1000 meters have them.
Unfortunately just because it can light a led on the far end does not mean it can actually pass data. The cheap testers likely detect 90% of issues but they do not actually try to send any kind of signal data over the wires.

For people like us that do not install cable for a living the only real option is to blindly pick a end and reterminated it.

Some devices tolerate cable that are out of spec more than others. In the end if you get frustrated enough you could always buy very cheap switch to hide the problem.

Mar 7, 2024
Granted, I don’t run thousands of feet a day, but I have been running this cable for many years, and this is the first time I have ever encountered this. Is this a common issue? I am also using a new bag of connectors, could they be out of spec? I’m going to contact my supplier about an exchange. Thanks, for the info.

It just randomly happens. Could be something strange with how the crimp tool pressed the ends on. You could have also nicked a wire or maybe a small crack when you stripped it.

This is why pro installs give you a test report for every run. Mostly is prevents them from having to spend money to send someone out when a customer gets some random device that does not work.

It is not likely the ends themselves but I guess it could be. There are for example ends for stranded and solid cable and they do not work well if you use the wrong kind.