Question Strange noise, but from where?

adrifoxbg

Reputable
Jun 16, 2020

It's not from the power supply, it's not from the fans, the video card is idle because it's below 56 degrees
All that remains is the pump and the motherboard

adrifoxbg

Reputable
Jun 16, 2020
Since when you noticed the noise?

Is your computer pre-assembled or you assembled it yourself?
The components were selected by me, assembled in a computer shop
The configuration was assembled without a video card and power supply
This noise has been around for a while.
Separately, there is a low whistling or squealing like noise.
After turning off the cooling for a few seconds, this noise continues.
ASUS admitted that maybe it is a VRM coil, because with a 4070 video card it was an ugly coil and noise.

Last edited:

Spacekeleton

Commendable
Jan 30, 2022
Try changing your refresh rate at monitor or windows settings and see if sound disappears/changes. My GPU has coil whine in almost every game, but it can be fixed by turning vertical sync on and changing refresh rate to 59/60hz and limiting FPS to 60. I honestly see no difference between 60 and 144.

UPD. But from what I hear on video, it sounds more like one of the fans, or vibration caused by them if you are sure fans are okay. No idea if it's something about your water cooling, but also could be it if you double checked the fans and it's not them.

Last edited:

adrifoxbg

Reputable
Jun 16, 2020
Try changing your refresh rate at monitor or windows settings and see if sound disappears/changes. My GPU has coil whine in almost every game, but it can be fixed by turning vertical sync on and changing refresh rate to 59/60hz and limiting FPS to 60. I honestly see no difference between 60 and 144.

UPD. But from what I hear on video, it sounds more like one of the fans, or vibration caused by them if you are sure fans are okay. No idea if it's something about your water cooling, but also could be it if you double checked the fans and it's not them.
The video card is old, I have no complaints about it.
I bought a 4070 oc version a week ago and it was a nasty coil.
I disconnected the cooling for seconds, removed the video card and attached the hdmi cable to the igpu, and still there was a soft hiss.
By the way, this is idle mode, I'm not playing anything at the moment

Spacekeleton

Commendable
Jan 30, 2022
By sound, do you mean that squeal or those clicking noises? And did you disconnect ALL cooling at once? Soft hiss may be present anyway, since electricity is flowing through the PC, especially if you have SSD, they are not entirely silent like some people think.
The video card is old, I have no complaints about it.
I bought a 4070 oc version a week ago and it was a nasty coil.
I disconnected the cooling for seconds, removed the video card and attached the hdmi cable to the igpu, and still there was a soft hiss.
By the way, this is idle mode, I'm not playing anything at the moment
UPD. I don't even hear squeal, more like humming, but nothing surprising since you put phone almost in the case and it just sounds like vibration. Or water cooling, though I never had an experience to work with PC with water cooling and have no idea how it should sound.

adrifoxbg

Reputable
Jun 16, 2020
By sound, do you mean that squeal or those clicking noises? And did you disconnect ALL cooling at once? Soft hiss may be present anyway, since electricity is flowing through the PC, especially if you have SSD, they are not entirely silent like some people think.
990 pro 1 tb
Every component is under warranty without the video card, it is the oldest.
Well... Like the rattling of a fan rotor, and a soft whistling sound

Spacekeleton

Commendable
Jan 30, 2022
990 pro 1 tb
Every component is under warranty without the video card, it is the oldest.
Well... Like the rattling of a fan rotor, and a soft whistling sound
I have same SSD and it makes louder noise than just soft whistle, you can even check on youtube how these sound. Rattling though really sounds like fan, so did you try stopping every fan one by one and check if sound goes away?

adrifoxbg

Reputable
Jun 16, 2020
I have same SSD and it makes louder noise than just soft whistle, you can even check on youtube how these sound. Rattling though really sounds like fan, so did you try stopping every fan one by one and check if sound goes away?
You know what's bad about the whole situation?
I'm not sure what exactly it is because I'm not a service person after all and I don't have spare parts to run tests and find out the cause
According to the store I bought the things from there was no problem, in my opinion this video proves that there is a problem.
He says bring the component that worries you and we will send it under warranty, and I explain that I don't know exactly which one it is.

Spacekeleton

Commendable
Jan 30, 2022
You can try to make a tube of A4 paper and listen with it closely to each working fan and it may help with finding the source. And was the rattling sound present after you turned off the cooling? And which one you turned off - CPU, GPU or case?

adrifoxbg

Reputable
Jun 16, 2020
You can try to make a tube of A4 paper and listen with it closely to each working fan and it may help with finding the source. And was the rattling sound present after you turned off the cooling? And which one you turned off - CPU, GPU or case?
I have tested all fans.
Of course, not that of the power supply, but if it was from it, the noise would be from the lower part

adrifoxbg

Reputable
Jun 16, 2020
It's a good idea to have someone to give you some advice.
I was advised to turn off all fans + cooling and turn on the machine for 20 seconds to see if there is a problem, complete silence!
Apparently the reason is the cooling
Thank you all for your time and attention, I appreciate it.
I wish you a nice day