Question Strange performance issues with my PC

Mar 20, 2024
Ok so in September I built a brand new PC from the ground up (Specs are down below). After getting it up and running it seemed like it was running alright although I had a feeling it wasn't performing as well as it should considering it had a 3080TI in it. I was lagging in games that I really thought the PC could handle, I initially just wrote it off as poor game optimization. Then last week my card completely died. Ok cool a bad card, it happens. So while I figure out warranty stuff with that card I plug in my old PC (Specs down below as well) so I have something to use. I decided to download those games I was playing onto the old PC to see how the performance differed. Unsurprisingly they ran better on my old PC, an older functioning card is still better than a new broken one. So I sent off the 3080 to get repaired and I decided to move the 1080TI from my old PC to the new one since it will take a while to get the 3080 back. I figure since every other component is an upgrade it will be even better than it was before since the 3080 wasn't working right to begin with. And to my frustration, I found that those games are running even worse than they were with the 3080 that wasn't even working right to begin with. So now I'm worried other components aren't working right. Or is it just that shoving a different card in can do weird stuff? I did install drivers for the 1080 on the new PC. Not sure what is going on. If anyone has tips for how I can do some diagnostics to narrow it down that would be great.

New PC Specs
Graphics: Gigabyte Geforce RTX 3080 TI Gaming oc 12G
CPU: Intel Core i5-12600K
RAM: Corsair Vengance DDR5 32GB 2x16GB
Motherboard: Gigabyte z790 UD AC

Old PC Specs
Graphics: 1080TI Founders Edition
CPU: Intel Core i5-9600K
RAM: Corsair Vengance LPX 16GB 2x8GB x2
Motherboard: Asus Prime Z930-A

Ok so in September I built a brand new PC from the ground up (Specs are down below). After getting it up and running it seemed like it was running alright although I had a feeling it wasn't performing as well as it should considering it had a 3080TI in it. I was lagging in games that I really thought the PC could handle, I initially just wrote it off as poor game optimization. Then last week my card completely died. Ok cool a bad card, it happens. So while I figure out warranty stuff with that card I plug in my old PC (Specs down below as well) so I have something to use. I decided to download those games I was playing onto the old PC to see how the performance differed. Unsurprisingly they ran better on my old PC, an older functioning card is still better than a new broken one. So I sent off the 3080 to get repaired and I decided to move the 1080TI from my old PC to the new one since it will take a while to get the 3080 back. I figure since every other component is an upgrade it will be even better than it was before since the 3080 wasn't working right to begin with. And to my frustration, I found that those games are running even worse than they were with the 3080 that wasn't even working right to begin with. So now I'm worried other components aren't working right. Or is it just that shoving a different card in can do weird stuff? I did install drivers for the 1080 on the new PC. Not sure what is going on. If anyone has tips for how I can do some diagnostics to narrow it down that would be great.

New PC Specs
Graphics: Gigabyte Geforce RTX 3080 TI Gaming oc 12G
CPU: Intel Core i5-12600K
RAM: Corsair Vengance DDR5 32GB 2x16GB
Motherboard: Gigabyte z790 UD AC

Old PC Specs
Graphics: 1080TI Founders Edition
CPU: Intel Core i5-9600K
RAM: Corsair Vengance LPX 16GB 2x8GB x2
Motherboard: Asus Prime Z930-A
You might want to use DDU and then install the 1080 drivers see if it makes a diff.

Proper bios and mobo drivers for the new setup?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Do you have complete system specs? Cooling, storage, etc.

Z790 boards do have a habit of making the first M.2 slot a PCIe 5.0 shared with the graphics slot. So I worry you were running the cards at 8x.

Power supply issues could certainly explain the poor behavior and a prematurely dead card.

Reactions: Athose
Mar 20, 2024
Do you have complete system specs? Cooling, storage, etc.

Z790 boards do have a habit of making the first M.2 slot a PCIe 5.0 shared with the graphics slot. So I worry you were running the cards at 8x.

Power supply issues could certainly explain the poor behavior and a prematurely dead card.
For cooling, I have the DeepCool AK620 Digital.
For storage, I have 2x Samsung 990 Pro Series - 2TB PCIe Gen4 SSDs