[SOLVED] Strange power issue on first boot

Dec 26, 2021
So I’m an experienced builder, I’ve just upgraded to intel 12th gen. I’ve got an issue where if I switch off at the PSU then when I first boot up my case power button won’t switch on anything connected to the motherboard or the board itself. I have to press the switch on the motherboard directly to boot up. After that though, shutting down in Windows and using my case power button works as normal from then on. Any ideas?

Solution
Totally normally, that’s the strange thing

Check for a BIOS option to disable restart after power interruption and change it to see if anything changes. Also check to see if there's any Modern PSU options for ultra-low energy use and toggle them to see if it changes anything.

Otherwise, it simply seems Windows wants a graceful shutdown. That's normal.
Don't switch off the PSU when you shut down down your PC, there is no need.
That's what's causing the problem.
Do you mean not to switch off the PSU UNTIL after shutting down your PC?

I frequently switch off the PSU so as to fully disconnect it from mains...especially if I plan on leaving it off a long time. That is to protect the surge suppressors and PSU front-end from power surges that might come through during off periods. I don't use a BBU (I don't think many of us do) and I have no need of any stand-by voltage provided for charging devices or keeping an RGB display going.

I can, however, see that as a problem for anyone who sets their system up to 'sleep' instead of 'shutdown' when they hit the front panel power switch.

Last edited:
Totally normally, that’s the strange thing

Check for a BIOS option to disable restart after power interruption and change it to see if anything changes. Also check to see if there's any Modern PSU options for ultra-low energy use and toggle them to see if it changes anything.

Otherwise, it simply seems Windows wants a graceful shutdown. That's normal.

Last edited:
Solution