Strange problem. Please help.

G

Can someone please help me with his nasty problem that i just discovered in win2k....it all of a sudden wont let me install any new nvidia drivers. All the driver files copy fine, but at the end it will always say "system could not find the file specified", and the driver install would fail.

It eventually defaults to the standard nvidia driver that comes with win2k upon the next reboot. I've tried 4 different versions of NVIDIA drivers and I've gotten the same result.

I have also tried to uninstall the adaptor completely, and remove all the nvidia related files from c:\winnt\system32. Nothing has worked. It seems like the .inf file is pointing to some file that is not packaged with the drivers themselves, but assumed to be present on the system.

This seems like such an easy problem to fix, but windows masks the installation details so I have no idea where to start fixing it. I do not want to have to resort to a complete reinstall over this.

My setup : P3-600, 256megs PC133RAM, ASUS GEForce DDR, 30Gig Maxtor HD, 40 Gig Fujitsu HD, Windows 2000 with SP2 installed, SB Live (with Liveware 2000), Plextor 16x writer, Pioneer SCSI dvdrom.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated ! Please feel free to email me directly.

Thanks in advance.

Andyddr

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2001
Had the same problem with my internal modem. Did you get any blue screens on start up? Have you flashed your bios at all?

The answer is....windows 98se.

Your new hardware is out-of-date

G

not sure what ur trying to say andy. I'm using win2k and there's no way im goin back to 98SE. And other than this problem, my system is running perfect. No blue screens.

Andyddr

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2001
Well I don`t have the answer, but I had to reformat my harddrive and reinstall everything to get my modem to work again so you can see my resentment to Win2K.

This came after I flashed my bios on my Cusl2 and then I got a blue screen on start up asking me to make sure that caching and shadowing were all off in my bios (they were) and stopped right there.

But that`s my opinion. I like the feel of 2K, but won`t go there again.

Your new hardware is out-of-date