[SOLVED] Strange problem with latency/ping when gaming only

Mar 30, 2020
Hello,
I have a strange problem with my internet. I recently got a point to point internet service for my gaming. The problem is whenever I join a game as soon as I start search for a game or I watch a game or try to play a game online, my ping spike starts immediately. When I'm on desktop my ping is okay and there is no issue the problem starts just as I search a game or whatever that I do with my internet even though it's not using my bandwidth that much. I didn't have this problem on a different modem and an ADSL line and for a period I had a TD-LTE modem and that also worked fine without issues.
My system and network configuration:
Windows 10 home
i7 6700k
16GB RAM
GTX 1070
router: mikrotik RBSEXTANT G
connected to router directly with a LAN cable

Things I did:
a) network reset on windows 10
b) disabled windows firewall

My ping when on desktop:
https://pasteboard.co/J1wujAZ.jpg

My ping as soon as I open a game (any game):
https://pasteboard.co/J1wuQxx.jpg

My speedtest result:
https://www.speedtest.net/result/9209847419.png

Solution
Something is very strange when your download speed is less than your upload speed.

I would ping the router IP instead of that dns server. I suspect it will be fine but your goal is to eliminate your PC as the cause.

I would download a game from say steam but set the download rate very low say 1 or 2 mbps. If you download at maximum rate it will do exactly what you see. The goal is to see if it depends on how much traffic you are using.

Normally I would say it the connection coming to your house. You could check by running a ping to hop 2 in a tracert.

In this case I suspect your ISP has a overloaded link someplace
Something is very strange when your download speed is less than your upload speed.

I would ping the router IP instead of that dns server. I suspect it will be fine but your goal is to eliminate your PC as the cause.

I would download a game from say steam but set the download rate very low say 1 or 2 mbps. If you download at maximum rate it will do exactly what you see. The goal is to see if it depends on how much traffic you are using.

Normally I would say it the connection coming to your house. You could check by running a ping to hop 2 in a tracert.

In this case I suspect your ISP has a overloaded link someplace

Solution
Mar 30, 2020

Hi,
I ping modem and it's 1 ms without any problem and I started download and ping at the same time to 4.2.2.4 and my ping was fixed without changing. I limit download up to 500 KBPS and ping didn't move at all. I tried the game again and ping started to spike again.

That implies the game is doing something strange to your computer. Do you have another device you can ping from to see if the internet connection is actually being affected or if it is only your pc.

The only other difference between a game and the other test traffic is a game sends/uploads more data than most applications. Still it is very small. Most games use well under 1mbps up and down.

Reactions: SamirD