[SOLVED] Strange RTX-5000 coil whine when running furmark

Feb 20, 2020
After viewing many threads, I dont think coil whine is a problem.
By running furmark to burn GPU, the coil whine occurs only when press space bar to stop rendering. Is it strange?

I consider rendering or not, the TDP will both meet the limit, which cause equal level stress for PSU.
Why not whine when rendering the donuts?

I found my GPU whine only at certain condition when burn it in with furmark.

By running furmark, the coil whine occurs only when press space bar to stop rendering. Is it strange?
I consider rendering or not, the TDP will both meet the limit, which cause equal level stress for PSU.
Why not whine when rendering the donuts?

Also, when disable donuts, with resolution of 1980x1080, the fps could reach 3000!
when I change the resolution to 4K, the fps drops and whine almost disappear.

Anyone could help to explain ?

Solution
Are you 100% sure it's your GPU making the whine?
When I upgraded from my RX480 to my Vega64 I would've sworn that my Vega was giving me some coil whine. However, it turned out to be my old 800W BFG power supply. The increase in power draw was enough to make it start whining.
Try this, download and run Unigine's Valley benchmark/stress test. Let it run for a bit and then hit escape which pulls up a credits page for a few seconds before going to desktop. My system used to 'whine' on that credits page, similar to what you describe. Curious to see if yours does the same.
When I upgraded from my RX480 to my Vega64 I would've sworn that my Vega was giving me some coil whine. However, it turned out to be my old 800W BFG power supply. The increase in power draw was enough to make it start whining.
Try this, download and run Unigine's Valley benchmark/stress test. Let it run for a bit and then hit escape which pulls up a credits page for a few seconds before going to desktop. My system used to 'whine' on that credits page, similar to what you describe. Curious to see if yours does the same.

Solution
Feb 20, 2020

Thanks for the advice.
Sure the whining coils would form GPU's PSU.
My concern is about the furmark, why rendering or not make a difference. The PSU's stress should be at the same level.
And the coil whine seems related with fps. The higher fps the higher chance to whine.

Sure the whining coils would form GPU's PSU.
No, not GPU's PSU (your GPU doesn't have a PSU), your actual computer power supply.
To verify, grab the cardboard center of a paper towel roll, hold one end to your ear, move the other end around to different components in your system, without touching them. You'll need to do this with the side of your case off.

Coil whine (if it's just coil whine) doesn't normally cause performance issues. However, the noise could be something much more serious (like a failing capacitor).