[SOLVED] Strange Sometimes Fans not spinning GTX 1070

justmark81

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2013
Hey everyone i have a strange problem with my GPU. First i will tell me computer specs.

RM 550x Corsair PSU
i7 4790k
GTX 1070 G1 gaming
16G ram
Windows 10

So my GPU works 90% of the time perfectly and there are no problems but sometimes my GPU just spins up very fast like it's awakening from something and that is very strange since it have it on a silent curve and i normally know when it will spin.

But sometimes when i go in my GPU app Gigabyte Extreme to check my fan speeds i put it on like 50% and you hear the fan going up but then... it stops and today i tried it again.. on 70% apply nothing.. restarted my PC nothing.. Ohohh right? Tried installing MSI Afternburner to spin the fans and while in MSI it says its going 50% it's doing nothing.

So i turned off my PC and tried it again.. still nothing! I rebooted PC went in my BIOS did nothing.. discard and exit. And when i'm in my PC the fans started spinning again.

Very very strange.. does anyone know what could be the problem?

Thank you

Solution
First, I'd make sure you have the MOST recent motherboard BIOS version installed.

Second, I'd do a clean install of the GPU card drivers and I would NOT use GeForce experience. Install the stand alone driver package from the Nvidia website for your card model and use the DDU in safe mode to remove all old drivers. If you've ever had an AMD card installed on this system, then run the DDU twice before installing the new driver package. Once for AMD and then again for Nvidia, in SAFE mode, and then reboot and install the latest drivers.

And if none of that works, then pull the card and check closely to see that all of the fan...
First, I'd make sure you have the MOST recent motherboard BIOS version installed.

Second, I'd do a clean install of the GPU card drivers and I would NOT use GeForce experience. Install the stand alone driver package from the Nvidia website for your card model and use the DDU in safe mode to remove all old drivers. If you've ever had an AMD card installed on this system, then run the DDU twice before installing the new driver package. Once for AMD and then again for Nvidia, in SAFE mode, and then reboot and install the latest drivers.

And if none of that works, then pull the card and check closely to see that all of the fan connectors are plugged in fully to where they belong. Maybe unplug and reconnect them just to make sure. Make sure none of the fan blades are being interferred with and can spin freely. If that is all good, then I'd contact Gigabyte about an RMA.

Solution

justmark81

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2013

And if none of that works, then pull the card and check closely to see that all of the fan connectors are plugged in fully to where they belong. Maybe unplug and reconnect them just to make sure. Make sure none of the fan blades are being interferred with and can spin freely. If that is all good, then I'd contact Gigabyte about an RMA.

Thank you so much!

At first fans not spinning at all!

1. Tried reseating the GPU in a different PCI and pressed all the power cables right. No results
  2. Updated my motherboard (found 1 update) updated. No results.
  3. Run the DDU utility and used stock drivers ( drivers didn't want to install gave error ) but installed it with most recent ones. No result.
  4. Removed the GPU and found the fan connector and it looked it half out, so i lift it with a screwdriver and placed it back in. Result! It works again!
It works thank you so much! I tried using the tool to see if it was stable and it had no problem what so ever everything just works! Really happy now since the card is just shy of hitting 3 years now.

Also thank you Tomshardware for this incredible platform with very friendly and knowledgable people!