Distinguished
Aug 30, 2016
Hey guys,

So I just bought a brand new Enermax PlatiGemini 1200W PSU and installed it a couple of days ago. Yesterday when I was just doing some light desktop tasks, I noticed a strange ticking-sound definitely coming from the PSU. I have recorded the sound with my phone - see link below. The sound lasts for maybe a minute or two, then goes away, and randomly reappears and goes away again. Anyone have any clue to what this can be? Please note that there is also some ambient noise in the background, like case fans and rain against a window. The PSU-sound is only the rythmic sound.

Link to soundclip.

or

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcvZn-1xBIA

All input will be greatly appreciated!

RAM: 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo Series DDR4 3600MHz
GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO
SSD: 2TB Samsung 990 PRO NVMe M.2
PSU: Enermax PlatiGemini 1200W ATX 3.1

Last edited:

KingLoki

Proper
Jul 10, 2024
Being brand new, I would return it for another. Hard one to pick. It's not normal to make noise like that and you don't know if it might cause it to fail in the near future.

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2016
Being brand new, I would return it for another. Hard one to pick. It's not normal to make noise like that and you don't know if it might cause it to fail in the near future.
Yes, I will return it. It just boggles the mind that months of researching PSUs and finally deciding on this one results in me having to return it (and be PC-less while I wait for a new one). PC as a hobby is sometimes akin to living in an abusive relationship...