Question strange sound

Dec 26, 2022
my build is 15 days old .. it started making this Sound yesterday and it drives me insane especially at night ..
any ideas what it could be ?
all fans are running at 700 rpm and i tried decreasing and increasing it but the same happens.
specs : intel i5 12400f /
intel stock cooler /
msi rtx 3060 gaming x 2 fans /
msi b660-A pro /
kingstone fury beast 2x16 /
seasoning core gx-650 /
samsung 970 /
wd hdd 1t /
case antec df700

Dec 26, 2022
Having spent last 4 days getting my fans to work, maybe I am not right person to answer

Have you tried using Fan Control to see if it helps?

How many case fans have you got?
Where are they and what are they doing?

at least it has a mesh front? https://www.antec.com/product/case/df700-flux
iam using msi center. tried both increasing and decreasing speed and i can hear fans sound changing but that specific sound does not change

Colif

Win 11 Master
case has 5 x 120mm fans, where are they all?

3 in front? one is rear? where is last one? any extra exhausts? I find I get a ringing noise like that if I let my exhausts run full speed.

use a rolled up piece of paper and try to isolate position (it doesn't help if sound seems to be everywhere.
Are fans running on GPU?
Does fan run in PSU all the time? - not sure if Seasonic GX650 has the switch on back that lets you set fan to 0rpm?

Dec 26, 2022
case has 5 x 120mm fans, where are they all?

3 in front? one is rear? where is last one? any extra exhausts? I find I get a ringing noise like that if I let my exhausts run full speed.

use a rolled up piece of paper and try to isolate position (it doesn't help if sound seems to be everywhere.
Are fans running on GPU?
Does fan run in PSU all the time? - not sure if Seasonic GX650 has the switch on back that lets you set fan to 0rpm?
3x120 exhaust on top
3x120 intake on front
1x120 exhaust at rear
1x120 intake at bottom
psu does not have fan control switch
im not sure but when i take out the mesh from top i feel that sound kind of decreased.
i also opened case sides but still nothing change

Colif

Win 11 Master
4 in, 4 out. balanced airflow hard to do.

You don't really need a dust filter on top if its where the exhausts are, it could be the sound of air blowing through it.
Dust filters more for intake fans, you want to keep dust out of system, not in it.

I have used the software I suggested to slow down both of my Top fans and tied them to temp of GPU so they only go faster when it runs hot. I was getting weird noises like you do if I run them all at full speed. Took me a few days to figure out.

Colif

Win 11 Master
how many headers on MB are you using for the fans? Can you vary their speeds as then you might not get noise. Its because they are all the same that you get the drone.

I wish I had known that detail before buying 3 Noctua fans and only really being able to use 2 at most. Sigh.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2022
how many headers on MB are you using for the fans? Can you vary their speeds as then you might not get noise. Its because they are all the same that you get the drone.

I wish I had known that detail before buying 3 Noctua fans and only really being able to use 2 at most. Sigh.
cant thank you enough!!! , i disabled the mid fan on top and mid fan on front and the noice disappeared tho i need a hub since i dont have enough headers to vary the speed

Colif

Win 11 Master
i dont have enough headers to vary the speed
I have the same problem, it wasn't a problem I was aware of before buying my fans. Another thing to add to must haves on a motherboard.

if you don't have hub, it might help. just set the fans at a slower speed and their sound waves won't amplify the ones next to them. 6 would have been annoying, its bad enough with 3.

To fight the noise I have use fan control software to run my rear fan at under 400rpm and my 2 top fans at 807, its not ideal as some days I still get weird noises at startup.

TRENDING THREADS