[SOLVED] strange temperature issues

Tom donaldson

Reputable
Apr 1, 2016
Yesterday installed a new 3700x with a h80i v2 cooler, on the first day of use I had idle temps of around 38 and good temps while gaming. Today I am now idling at 60+ and 70+ under light load from chrome and discord. I have not changed any bios settings, fan curves, power settings or hardware. I have tried changing power settings but nothing has made a difference. Does anyone know what has caused this?

Solution
The H80i is inadequate for a 3700x even at stock frequency and how it maintained good temps initially while gaming is beyond me to explain.
You really need a H110 (or better still) a H150 or equivalent, if you wish to overclock to max.
OFC you need a case that will fit a dual rad.
I suggest a stress test using Aida64 to see what is going on.(Temp wise on the die)
The H80i is inadequate for a 3700x even at stock frequency and how it maintained good temps initially while gaming is beyond me to explain.
You really need a H110 (or better still) a H150 or equivalent, if you wish to overclock to max.
I suggest a stress test using Aida64 to see what is going on.(Temp wise on the die)

Last edited:
Solution

Tom donaldson

Reputable
Apr 1, 2016
The H80i is inadequate for a 3700x even at stock frequency and how it maintained good temps while gaming is beyond me to explain.
You really need a H110 or better still a H150 or equivalent if you wish to overclock to max.
I suggest a stress test using Aida64 to see what is going on.
ok thank you, would you suggest using the stock cooler until I can get my hands on a better aio?