Question Strange Temperatures with Ryzen 3700x

JosephWH

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2016
So I've just built a new pc with the Ryzen 3700x (rest of specs below), and I'm having sorta a weird range of temperatures with it. On idle, it starts at around 60 C and slowly goes down to around 50 C, then shoots back up around 10 C all at once. The range is anywhere from 45 C to 70 C on idle. When I run games for awhile it actually starts to stabilize at around 50 C, which makes no sense to me. I've used multiple temperature monitoring programs and they all say the same thing. Whats weird though is that in my bios the temperature says its around 30 C. So I thought maybe the 3rd gen ryzen processors didn't communicate well with the temp monitoring programs. So I tried stress testing my pc using Prime95, then restarting and going straight into the bios. It said the temp was at 40 C, which seems a little too low to be true to me. So I guess my question would be is there anything wrong with my cpu or liquid cooler? Is this just how AMD cpus are? It just really annoys me that while Im doing literally nothing on my pc that temperatures are usually higher than when Im actually stressing it. Any help is appreciated.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/MXBbcq

JosephWH

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2016
Could of put to much paste onto the CPU or go into bios and change your fan speed settings!

Also it is RECOMMENDED PSU MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER needs an 650W PSU not an 600W one!
I started with the stock paste from the H100i Pro and switched over with some artic paste. Both had the same results. I've also messed around with the fan settings setting them to even full rpm with the temperature going down about 5 C. I've talked to a friend about this and they think that AMD processors just cannot interpret their temperature as well as Intel can. So I guess this is just something Im gonna have to swallow for going the AMD route.

Also the recommended psu companies give is very exaggerated. I could have gone with even a 550W one and still been fine, especially since I don't plan on doing any overclocking.