Question Strange USB power surge problem

psy1

Prominent
Aug 9, 2020
Hello,

A strange problem developed with my computer recently.
It's hard to describe but here it is:
Every USB port on my computer stops working and comes up with the message "USB power surge" in the lower right hand corner of Windows 10.
This happens when I plug something in like a keyboard.
It also happens when I move around things that are plugged in, for example, if I remove my keyboard from my desk and move it 2 meters away, the power surge warning will appear and the keyboard will stop responding.
My set-up at the moment works IF I don't move the keyboard and mouse around but, at the slightest bump I will get the power surge warning.

I don't think it's a hardware problem as the PC is only around 2 years old and out of the 10 or so USB hubs on my PC, all of them are affected.
I'm just wondering, how can I fix this?
I can answer all your questions and run all your tests; if that's what you require.

psy1

Prominent
Aug 9, 2020
Can you make a full description what you have connected to the computer via usb ?

I have a Razer Blackwidow keyboard and a Razer Deathadder mouse attached to the USB hubs only.

What ports are each device connected to?

At the moment the two devices are connected to USB ports.

What motherboard/laptop model is it ?

Motherboard = PRIME B350-PLUS

I don't recall saying that I am using a USB hub. I'm not.
No?

I have a Razer Blackwidow keyboard and a Razer Deathadder mouse attached to the USB hubs only.
I was interpreting this as you having used a usb hub. Probably my bad, as I'm not native english speaker.

Ok, so you have nothing else than your keyboard and mouse, and the problem tends to occur when you move the attached components? FOr me that is a tell-tell sign that the problems lays within the keyboard/mouse.

Have you tried using another mouse/keyboard ?

psy1

Prominent
Aug 9, 2020
I was interpreting this as you having used a usb hub. Probably my bad, as I'm not native english speaker.
No, it's not your bad. It was my bad. I shouldn't have used the word 'hub'.

FOr me that is a tell-tell sign that the problems lays within the keyboard/mouse.
It's not the keyboard and mouse themselves. The problem occurs when I plug anything else into the ports.

I have skills with a soldering iron and multimeter.
Well - the first place to look is the fastening for the usb socket itself, if you know how to spot a bad solder point.

If that doesn't lead to anything, you can always try to find the chip that takes care of usb and look if all the legs soldering are ok. This one can be very difficult to spot because of small size, and there could be the PCB tracks as well that have cracks or other damages.

psy1

Prominent
Aug 9, 2020
if you know how to spot a bad solder point.
Pretty sure I would know how to spot one but, I suspect that's not the problem because it doesn't fit the diagnosis. All of my 10 or so USB ports are affected.
The problem would have to be something that affects all the USB ports.

psy1

Prominent
Aug 9, 2020
This might be related to the power surge issue; I am also getting "driver timeout" problems with my GPU.
What happens; usually after I boot up my computer the screen will freeze and then turn blank (black) and then it will recover and I will get a "driver timeout" message from AMD software.
Sometimes this will continually happen and I have to re-boot my computer.

I'm presuming you are on a desktop, not laptop, so:-
-What PSU do you have (make,model,wattage), and for roughly how long have you been using it?
-What GPU are you using?

How often does the GPU timeout occur? If its frequent, then you could see about updating your drivers to the newest available from AMD's website if you havent done so already. If this is already done, try uninstalling the drivers using a program called DDU, then reinstalling the newest drivers obtained from AMD's website. If the problem is then fixed, it rules out any connection between the two issues.

psy1

Prominent
Aug 9, 2020
I'm presuming you are on a desktop, not laptop, so:-
Yes, desktop.

-What PSU do you have (make,model,wattage), and for roughly how long have you been using it?
Silverstone Strider Titanium 600 W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply. I have been using it for roughly 2 years.

-What GPU are you using?
Sapphire Radeon RX 480 4 GB NITRO+ Video Card

How often does the GPU timeout occur?
It's hard to find the % of times it occurs. I would describe it as happening infrequently.

try uninstalling the drivers using a program called DDU, then reinstalling the newest drivers obtained from AMD's website.

I will try this thanks.
EDIT TO ADD: Done it, I followed all the DDU instructions and I'll let you know if the problem persists.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2022
Once done try connecting the device and check if the issue persists. If so then you can update all the USB controller drivers or can reinstall them.

If you happen to notice that the issue is with some particular device, it is possible that the device requires more voltage than the capacity of the USB port. In this case a USB Hub with its own power source is recommended.

Apr 29, 2022
I have encountered this issue recently while using external webcam.
When connected after the power up, the webcam worked fine. But when the PC was powered up with the webcam connected, there was a message of Over current and power up stalled.
It took some time to understand the problem, and later cross checked with laptop and same phenomenon was encountered.