[SOLVED] Strange video problem

Perrorist

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2011
I have a PC that was happily running until the screen went blank. I checked the monitor - no problem. I connected it to a different DVI port on the same card, still not working. I then attached a different monitor to a DP port on the motherboard, still no display. All other devices appear to be working fine,

What circumstances would prevent both video card and motherboard displays from working? I've never come across this before.

Solution
I suspect the card, as I couldn't get HDML to work either. When our visitors have departed, I shall open the case, reseat the card and double check the power connections.

Perrorist

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2011
The motherboard is an Asus Sabertooth Z87 with 32Gb RAM and Intel i7 4770K CPU, and the graphics card is a Geforce GTX 780.

Having slept on it, I remembered the card had 2 x DVI, 1 HDMI, and 1 DP port, so I switched the DP connecter over to that and I got a signal on the second monitor. That made me wonder if the first monitor's DVI signal input had failed. I tried another monitor, same make and model - same problem.

The first monitor has HDMI, so I gave that a go. That failed, too. At this point I'm inclined to think the problem is the card, though why one port works and three others don't mystifies me.

Has anyone seen that before?

Perrorist

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2011
I suspect the card, as I couldn't get HDML to work either. When our visitors have departed, I shall open the case, reseat the card and double check the power connections.

Solution