[SOLVED] Stream from Router USB to Roku..can I do that?

ronb1955

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2016
Can I use USB stick in my Asus router and stream movies (wireless) to my Roku devices? If so how?
What software do I need? Does computer have to remain on at all time to do so? My roku is installed on my Vizio P65 tv.
Thanks

Solution
Can I use USB stick in my Asus router and stream movies (wireless) to my Roku devices? If so how?
What software do I need? Does computer have to remain on at all time to do so? My roku is installed on my Vizio P65 tv.
Thanks

For router storage, just need to connect it to the router and check the sharing to make sure it's enabled. I have had no issues with full HD movies off a router storage USB drive, but it's only at 1080 max, no 4k stuff.

You may not need to even use the Roku, many smart TVs have a media player option that will play files shared on the network. And the Roku should also have a file player that can be used for shared media.

Not sure what you were wondering about the computer to be on, the storage will be...

kanewolf

Titan
Thanks
Maybe -- at best. Performance of a USB stick in a router is usually poor. Streaming video via WIFI is usually poor performance. It would also depend on what software you plan to use on the Roku.
Have you tried connecting the USB drive directly to the TV? Many TVs can access media on USB storage.

Thanks

For router storage, just need to connect it to the router and check the sharing to make sure it's enabled. I have had no issues with full HD movies off a router storage USB drive, but it's only at 1080 max, no 4k stuff.

You may not need to even use the Roku, many smart TVs have a media player option that will play files shared on the network. And the Roku should also have a file player that can be used for shared media.

Not sure what you were wondering about the computer to be on, the storage will be connected to the router, and it's played from the TV or the Roku device you have, no need to have an computer in the mix.

Solution

ronb1955

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2016

Not sure what you were wondering about the computer to be on, the storage will be connected to the router, and it's played from the TV or the Roku device you have, no need to have an computer in the mix.
I still don't see how the Roku can see the files on the USB in the router?

Does the 68p have the same processor as the 68u?

If it does, it'll have decent enough USB performance for 1080p video. Something like 25MB/s of read speed if memory serves me correctly. Higher bitrate 4k videos will have issues with that speed, but 1080p should be fine.

Roku needs a DNLA server or Plex server. You can do DLNA on the ASUS, they call is MEDIA SERVER.

But DLNA is hit or miss, doesn't work for every video and the router can't transcode. The problem with ROKU is they have older backend libraries for decoding and they have a bare minimum of support for audio codecs. In my experience, ROKU's needs most videos transcoded that have anything more than 2 channel audio.

An apple TV 4 or newer is better when used with the INFUSE app. This will read from a SMB(samba) or FTP network share directly. Then decode whatever format you throw at it.

A KODI box will do the same. Read SMB or FTP network shares and decode everything. Though the UI for KODI looks dated and not to my liking.

Nvidia Shield box will have PLEX built into it. It will also act as a plex server to your ROKU and transocde for the ROKU if you have other tv's in the house. Buy an older Nvidia Shield with USB ports.

Last edited: