Sep 13, 2019
Hey guys, I recently started streaming on Streamlabs OBS and I was wondering what the best settings would be for the stream, please and thank you!

Game: Fortnite

PC Specs:
  • RAM: 24GB
  • Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz, 3600 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

Solution
1. which could cause the streaming to have problems...
2.No it's not, it's on par if not even better then nvenc,either one will do a great job.

1. If you do get streaming problems, then just turn it off. The 9900K is plenty. I've done extensive tests with streaming on my 1700X x264 in games similar to fortnite, it ran just fine. Now of course, if you run something more demanding than fortnite, sure the 9900K probably won't be enough for that nice 1080P 60fps quality.
  2. You are sorely mistaken, QuickSync is at best below NVENC by a little bit. Now if you mean QuickSync vs say 600 series or 700 series NVENC, yeah sure. But Pascal and Turing have much superior encoders vs quicksync.
View...
That's a tough one.

Your system in the main, is pretty beastly (CPU, amount of ram), that's not the issue. The real issue for you is the GTX1060. Although it's a decent 1080p 60hz GPU for gaming alone, when you want to stream too, the card meets it's limitations.

You have to balance in game settings, probably low, to keep a 60hz/fps rate going while you game, so you can output some level of a quality stream. If you don't have a smooth 60hz while gaming, it will really show in the stream. Then you have to consider the stream, and output quality. Because of the GPU being a bit on the light side, choosing anything more than maybe 30fps at 720 as the output would also look pretty bad. It will be stuttery, and not an enjoyable experience to watch.

I'd recommend getting at least a GTX1070 8gb. The extra 2gbs vram really helps, but you also need a GPU capable of hitting 60hz whilst you stream, so that the gaming is decent fps, and the video being watched is of reasonable quality.

It might be just an idea to start with low presets for OBS and low in game settings and see what they look like. Move upward from there if you feel the GPU isn't maxed out.

errr It's just fortnite, his 1060 will be fine. He can easily play ultra 60fps at 1080P.

I recommend you run x264 encoding at 1080P 60fps superfast preset as Fortnite is so easy to run you have plenty of CPU horsepower left over for streaming.

I'm also assuming your internet connection has enough bandwidth to push 1080P 60fps stream just fine.

errr It's just fortnite, his 1060 will be fine. He can easily play ultra 60fps at 1080P.

I recommend you run x264 encoding at 1080P 60fps superfast preset as Fortnite is so easy to run you have plenty of CPU horsepower left over for streaming.
1 ) Fortnite is very "sensitive" to other programs stealing cycles from it even when it's not using a lot of CPU power.
  1. When running without a FPS limit fortnite can fill up a lot of cores.
  2. OBS can use the iGPU of the intel CPU to do the streaming,it can handle 1080/60 without putting any pressure to either the CPU or the GPU,using nvenc would be just as non demanding

1 ) Fortnite is very "sensitive" to other programs stealing cycles from it even when it's not using a lot of CPU power.
  1. When running without a FPS limit fortnite can fill up a lot of cores.
  2. OBS can use the iGPU of the intel CPU to do the streaming,it can handle 1080/60 without putting any pressure to either the CPU or the GPU,using nvenc would be just as non demanding

1. Windows 10 has a game mode now, which prioritizes games over all other programs. Plus, Fortnite on a 9900K is nothing.
  2. Intel's QuickSync iGPU stuff for streaming purposes is utter garbage. I would highly recommend using NVENC on the GTX 1060 instead if your CPU can't handle x264.

1. Windows 10 has a game mode now, which prioritizes games over all other programs. Plus, Fortnite on a 9900K is nothing.
  2. Intel's QuickSync iGPU stuff for streaming purposes is utter garbage. I would highly recommend using NVENC on the GTX 1060 instead if your CPU can't handle x264.
2.No it's not, it's on par if not even better then nvenc,either one will do a great job.

1. If you do get streaming problems, then just turn it off. The 9900K is plenty. I've done extensive tests with streaming on my 1700X x264 in games similar to fortnite, it ran just fine. Now of course, if you run something more demanding than fortnite, sure the 9900K probably won't be enough for that nice 1080P 60fps quality.
  2. You are sorely mistaken, QuickSync is at best below NVENC by a little bit. Now if you mean QuickSync vs say 600 series or 700 series NVENC, yeah sure. But Pascal and Turing have much superior encoders vs quicksync.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jludqTnPpnU

Solution