Stream Windows 7 to iPad via OnLive App

Status
Not open for further replies.

Albyint

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
[citation][nom]mister g[/nom]Seems a little early since OnLive just launched their little gaming device for the TV, still go OnLive.[/citation]

Technology grows to fast to start late to the game IMO. Onlive is better off being an innovator and envelope pusher. This is taking cloud computing to where it should be. Going from gaming and simple internet connectivity, to full scale computing and productivity capable tasks. Cant wait to see it in action/mass production etc etc.

Nexus52085

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
[citation][nom]toallthehaters[/nom]I have read the forum classification rules section and call me a troll, see if I care. And I fucking hate windows. I hate that fat belly pot belly pig Ballmer making millions on a relic. Just like IBM, MS will find itself obsolete. Mark. My. Words. I cannot understand why an upstanding forum of tech such as Tom has such a cult following of such a piece of shit OS. They have screwed up over and over but people still love what the defecate. Learn a new OS... android, OSX, chrome. Windows is yesterday.[/citation]

Uhh... Macintosh is older than Windows. If anything, Learn Linux or Windows, not an OS with limited functionality. It sucks that someone would come in here and present himself as a tech guy and can't see the value in open OS's like Windows and Linux.

JasonAkkerman

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2008
I thought there was an RDP (MS Remote Desktop) app for iPhone/iPad.

I run my Windows 7 desktop on my WinMo phone all the time. Why use a third party to access your desktop?

Gamer-girl

Distinguished
May 29, 2010
Until another OS supports all the games i play, I'll stick to windows.

Another point OnLive is only good for people with high data caps or unlimited usage. In a country where 10GB a month cost $50 - not such great idea.

dEAne

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
Does this mean that high hardware requirements for software will soon be a thing of the past for consumers?

More likely, but the transition will be messy.

gumbedamit

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
While this becomes wow to many. I have been designing and building remote,"DESKTOPS" for over a decade. Hey guys, Cloud Computing is nothing new. It's akin to Apple's Ipad, just a new skin on old tech. Can we all say Citrix, VMware, not to mention the countless remote desktops apps, VNC,RDP. Nothing new here.

gumbedamit

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
The closest that Corp America will get to "Cloud Computing" is the cloud they use now,(The Internet)which allows their employees access to their corporate VPN's.(Corporate Clouds)......

malphas

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
Wasn't there some similar application to this, except over wi-fi rather than the cloud? i.e. letting you stream Windows/Linux/OS X/whatever from a desktop in your house to a tablet or netbook in another room.

cushgod

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
serious the cloud is the internet, this cloud shiat is a marketing hype, that gets people that know shit about computers and how they work to go

" Oh Cloud computing, thats neat we should get into that, we should invest in the cloud. It makes sense. " Arhrhrh shut up you mroons and get of my cloud. lol.

G

While I understand the confusion when comparing OnLive's services or technology to "Remote Desktop Access", don't be fooled. Onlive has developed a nation wide infrastructure and a set of technologies much more important and impressive than some standard, Thin Client, RDP or VPN.

Onlive has virtually eliminated (or reduced to an acceptable level,) all latency and limitation associated with the real-time compression of remotely hosted, high-end, high resolution computing. Not only has such flexibility and power never been offered to the public, it has never been developed or positioned via multiple, local computing centers, strategically placed throughout North America to deal with (speed of light,) physical, latency limitations. When Onlive 1st revealed to the public their "gaming service" back in February, it was apparent then this would have a far reaching impacts on the high-end computing, and the high-tech production and design based world.

Being a person who has launched and lead several separate computer animation studios during the last decade and a half of my career, I understand the burden of massive hardware and software cost. Creating options, creates freedom, which opens up creativity, innovation and yields products a productivity which are hard to put a price on.

To have "tested" its technology and/or attracted its first run of investors through it's initial delivery of gaming and garnering of those related revenue is great; however, the opportunities this same platform will now provide to the design, CG production and "creative" professional communities and/or individuals who understand how to leverage these remote computing centers, will truly be a game changer.

** For those of you who are "independent developers", Onlive will now give you a chance to completely level the playing field, by providing you an on-demand arsenal of high-end, 3D capable computing and design tools which rival the largest design, gaming and CG studios.

A side note to those who are windows "haters":
Personally, I am a loyalist only to effective technology. The brand dose not factor in to my final orders and studio designs near as much as the quality of the solution.

I have outfitted the back-end of past Animation Studios with the likes of six figures in Apple X-serve and fiber channel SANs editing solutions; and gone the complete other route towards Linux and Windows based technology when that also served our needs. On a personal note, I now use a dual quad core Mac Pro at home, but the OS of choice I bare metal boot on this machine is Windows 7. The comparison of the two OSs on that particular hardware is almost humorous.

The Windows 7 OS makes OS-X feel as dated as OS-X makes XP feel. And perhaps it is not fare to compare a state of the art OS, such as Windows 7, to a now ageing platform such as OS-X. On the same token, forming an opinion on "Windows versus Apple" to one's exposure to say Windows XP (circa 2001) versus OS-X progressive releases over the years, is also uneducated. Apple's OS has the luxury of living within a consumer bubble that few long standing product have been afforded. This "bubble" as it were, is a great choice for some consumers, but far to restricted for many of those wishing to push the ceiling on tech based production.

When you make comments, like "Windows is antiquated, Balmer sucks, and I hate Microsoft!" you are revealing your lack of knowledge or your tendency to cut your nose off despite your own face. More specifically, comments about the "antiquated nature" of Microsoft's current product line tend to reveal a user who has no direct exposure to their current OS; nor access to a valid framework for comparison; nor any past or present professional dependencies on high-end, PC applications. This is why folks reply with simple thoughts like "morons" to whom this concerns.

Status
Not open for further replies.