Question Streaming device for DVI HD TV

Jul 26, 2019
Hello! New to the forum, looking for advice. I have a Sony Grand-Wega HD TV circa 2003 that I'm not ready to give up. I've had a Roku Express + Hooked up to it for many years, using a DVI>HDMI Adapter. It works fine, but suddenly the screen has a purple cast over everything. I've read it's a cable issue and I've tried using other cables, sort, long, cheap, not cheap...I've also reset the unit, unplugged it and let it sit....all the usual advice and no dice. It's totally fine using the analog RCA hookup but then it's no long HD.

My question is: are there any other streaming devices out there that will work with this setup?

The Roku works well because the picture streams with the HDMI and the sound runs through analog RCA cables that hook up to the TV. Is it possible to use a newer unit with an HDMI cable that splits the audio off and hook the audio up to external speakers (or a stereo mini>RCA adapter? I do realize it may need an amp.) I did buy a second Roku Express + and the same thing happens. In fact, it works fine with the analog, not but with the HDMI connection. It starts up fine, but then just flickers static, it won't even take me to the welcome screen! Thanks for any thoughts!

Jul 26, 2019
Thanks Sagar_20! I literally just bought a Firestick and am using an HDMI>DVI adapter. I am waiting for some Bluetooth speakers to arrive...I didn't realize the Bluetooth audio solution existed! Firestick works great so far with some Bluetooth headphones.

I did see there are HDMI cables that split audio and video, which I thought might be an option. But the Bluetooth thing is perfect!

Jul 26, 2019
Thanks! I did get a wired soundbar for that very reason. And thanks for the link to that splitter - it's nice to have options if I don't like the sound quality of the soundbar. I use external speakers right now, so I could still use them with the splitter.