Streaming i7-6700k Temperature

Gearoid41

Commendable
Aug 2, 2016
Hey guys,
Recently got into streaming on Twitch, but I just want to make sure that I am not harming the CPU in any way. I downloaded RealTemp, and after an hour or so of Overwatch, I maxed at 73 degrees celcius. Using i7-6700k with the Hyper 212 Evo cooler. Is there a range I would be advised to avoid? Thanks for your help.

Solution
You can't harm your CPU in any way. The only way to harm your CPU would be to increase voltage to the point your PC wouldn't even boot. You have nothing to worry about in terms of your CPU's health. The CPU is going to start to throttle around 90 C, which means it's lowering voltage and frequency to manage heat, if the temperature keeps rising then it's shut down around 100 C to prevent damage. This is a range you want to avoid, not because of damage, but because of performance.

GPU's work exactly the same way, under the exact same temperatures, except that NVIDIA (don't know about AMD) have implemented a driver limitation related to temperature as soon as it hits 80 C, extremely shady move.

All the best!
You can't harm your CPU in any way. The only way to harm your CPU would be to increase voltage to the point your PC wouldn't even boot. You have nothing to worry about in terms of your CPU's health. The CPU is going to start to throttle around 90 C, which means it's lowering voltage and frequency to manage heat, if the temperature keeps rising then it's shut down around 100 C to prevent damage. This is a range you want to avoid, not because of damage, but because of performance.

GPU's work exactly the same way, under the exact same temperatures, except that NVIDIA (don't know about AMD) have implemented a driver limitation related to temperature as soon as it hits 80 C, extremely shady move.

All the best!

Solution
Yea, 70-80 C is fine. You can even reach 90 C but then the problem would very likely be a cooling issue (probably dust) as it's not that common on desktop CPU's, and eventually it would start throttling. This is why people want to stay around 70-80 C to ensure there temperature/chip is stable. Enjoy your beast of a CPU! :)

All the best!