Streaming media across modem and router

meeklo062704

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012
My PC is a desktop without a wireless adapter, so it runs connected directly to the modem. I am trying to stream media from the pc to a dlna blu-ray player in the back room, but it won't let me stream PC->modem->router->blu-ray. I had it running before I moved with the modem at the very end of the chain, but the new setup needs it the other way. I'm guessing it's an issue where windows can't get the data to pass through the router, and that there's a setting that I need to fix, I'm just not sure what it is. I'm trying to avoid having to add a switch and another 100' of cat cable. Is this something where I need to put the modem in bridge, or turn the router into an access point?

Solution
It should be easy. If your computer and Blu-Ray are far from the modem just attach the modem to the incoming ISP line, then from modem to router WAN port. Next the 100 ft. Ethernet cable from a router LAN port to a small (4 or 5 port) switch near the computer and Blu-ray. Then two short Ethernet cables to each the computer and the Blu-Ray.

The router will assign the internal network addresses to all devices and can provide a wireless signal for any phones, etc. The router will be an easy setup.

If the computer and Blu-Ray are far apart please advise.

RealBeast

Titan
You will need to attach your router to the modem and then attach your PC to an LAN port of the router. Then your BluRay can attach to the router via wireless (that is what I am assuming you are trying to do -- please correct me if that is wrong).

Your router DHCP service will give out addresses to your devices, or if you wish you can use static addresses. Static is a bit less convenient if you plan to connect any other devices like phones occasionally.

Both your computer and the BluRay need to be on the same network so check your BluRay to determine if it needs a particular address range.

This tells me you are double-NATing. You are running 2 subnets, and one can't talk to each other, not without extra expense and effort anyways, but the fix is simple enough.

Configure WIFI router as Access Point, there is a sticky on top to tell u how if ur confused. When you are done, everybody is on the same subnet and talking to each other like buddies, wire or wireless don't matter.

meeklo062704

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012
Previously I had it connected modem->router->PC, and the media streamed to the blu-ray player from the router. I was hoping it would work the other way all the way through, but wasn't totally surprised it didn't. Oh yeah, the blu-ray can't connect with wifi because the only wifi adapter that works with it is an overpriced proprietary dongle that Sony sells. I figured it was something easy to solve it, I just didn't want to spend a bunch of time digging through the router. Much appreciated.

RealBeast

Titan
It should be easy. If your computer and Blu-Ray are far from the modem just attach the modem to the incoming ISP line, then from modem to router WAN port. Next the 100 ft. Ethernet cable from a router LAN port to a small (4 or 5 port) switch near the computer and Blu-ray. Then two short Ethernet cables to each the computer and the Blu-Ray.

The router will assign the internal network addresses to all devices and can provide a wireless signal for any phones, etc. The router will be an easy setup.

If the computer and Blu-Ray are far apart please advise.

Solution