Streaming Video to VLC, freezing, dropping frames - Windows 10

metapodharden

Commendable
Jul 19, 2016
Hello everyone, this is very specific but I am hoping someone can help.

I have a RaspberryPi3 running Kodi, with a 3TB hard drive attached. Through a Samba share on this device I have video files available to my home network.

I stream these videos to my PC from this share, using VLC. This has worked for years on my Windows 7 PC. My Win7 machine died, and I got a Dell inspiron Windows 10 machine. I now find that when I try to stream the same videos, the video stalls, or frames go missing.

I assumed this was my network, so I have attempted to stream on other devices - it works no problem. This leads me to believe the issue is with Windows 10 and my new laptop.

I am very new to Windows10 and don't know it's quirks or issues, does anyone have any troubleshooting suggestions?

Considering the Pi3 came out not even a year ago, you're lying about something here. If you used to share from something other than a Pi and switched it to the Pi, that's your problem right there!

Come back and tell us the whole truth.

In the meantime, consider using MPC-HC to test the computer to make sure it's not just a configuration issue on VLC

metapodharden

Commendable
Jul 19, 2016
Hi Basroil, before the Pi3, I used a Pi2 and the exact same OS / media set up. I switched over right as the Pi3 came out (February this year, I think, my memory sucks apparently). Since we are going back through my entire Pi history here - before the Pi2 it was a Pi1 with the same set up.

The Windows 10 problems have started happening as of Monday this week, as I got my machine on Sunday. It's very unlikely the change from the Pi2 to Pi3 caused this as it happened months prior. Also, given that it works on my windows 7 machines it's probably not the culprit. Could be a hardware / driver thing on my computer, but I'm taking the leap that it's probably a windows 10 encoding or wifi issue.

Will install MPC-HC tonight to test if VLC is the issue - the same issue was happening with Windows Media Player on the machine, and at that point, I assumed it was WMP being WMP and not having the correct codec.