Question Stressing my GPU causes my computer to power off

Rioisbeast

Honorable
Jan 10, 2013
Hi all, I have had my computer since 2013. It has recently developed a new problem where when the GPU is put under stress it shuts down abruptly like the power was pulled out of the wall, it will sometime trigger the safety on the surge protector as well. It seems to happen when my GPU gets to about 60 Celsius. I have tested it in furmark and prime 95 and only furmark causes the power to crash. I have only added a single hard drive to the computer recently, a western digital green. Here are my full specs.

Intel i5
Asus GTX 660
asrock extreme z77 motherboard
Corsair HX 650 power supply
2 Western digital HD's (1tb caviar black and 500 mb caviar green)
1 Samsung 250 SSD
16 GB of corsair DDR3 Ram
and a disk drive

Not sure if there's a way to test if it's the psu failing or if it's the GPU but any advice would be appreciated.

Bentheball1

Reputable
Nov 28, 2016
can you download hwinfo64 and post a photo of the voltages you are getting? i had an issue with my pc where my 12v was lower than the rated spec (11.4v) and it would crash. i fixed this by unplugging all motherboard connections to the PSU and plugging them back in firmly. what kind of PSU do you have? that would help as well. one final thing to check would be event viewer in windows and look for critical errors.

jamesanyoung

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2013
since you recently added a Hard Drive, try removing that drive and see if the GPU still fails at temperature.

Your PSU should have enough power to run that setup, but it might not be delivering the power properly.

If your surge protector trips as well - It sounds like a PSU failure and it should be replaced ASAP.

Rioisbeast

Honorable
Jan 10, 2013
So I'm getting a critical error saying Kernal-Power every time it powers off. You're both saying its likely PSU caused, in that case hopefully they'll replace it since its in warranty still I believe. It's a corsair HX 650w.

Rioisbeast

Honorable
Jan 10, 2013
can you download hwinfo64 and post a photo of the voltages you are getting? i had an issue with my pc where my 12v was lower than the rated spec (11.4v) and it would crash. i fixed this by unplugging all motherboard connections to the PSU and plugging them back in firmly. what kind of PSU do you have? that would help as well. one final thing to check would be event viewer in windows and look for critical errors.
Where do I find the voltages?

Bentheball1

Reputable
Nov 28, 2016
I don't, is it possible its just the connector cable for the card, I may have more of those.
you can try. i had a voltage issue a couple days ago where my pc would shut off randomly while gaming. i fixed it by removing the 24 pin motherboard and 8 pin cpu cables from the motherboard (not psu) and plugged them back in firmly. this fixed my issue but it might not fix yours. i would try a different 6 pin cable for your gpu.