Strict $800 first-time build

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ti1706

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
I'm looking to build a system, this will be a first attempt for me, I appreciate any recommendations you guys might have.
Hate to dampen spirits, but I have a firm $800.00 limit INCLUDING taxes, shipping, and any other charges (such as the OS, and any first-timer items).
Lastly, I do NOT need a monitor, I have an acceptable one (LCD) already.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: ASAP

BUDGET RANGE: US $0-800.00

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Flash animation/games rendering, internet browsing, music composition/listening, video editing, movies/gaming

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Monitor, and I am not adverse to grabbing a discount keyboard and mouse.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg.com, or anything with a clean reputation.

PARTS PREFERENCES: an Intel processor (AMD, if better bang for buck)

OVERCLOCKING: Despite no experience, I'd like to try and overclock. As for Crossfire/SLI, I'm not a high-end gamer, so... probably no.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I'm a big multi-tasker (4-5 internet pages, Sony Vegas, Notepad, Core Media Player would be typical), The extent of my gaming aspirations is a WoW-esque game. I render a lot of Flash, and I'd like to start doing some graphics work (anyone recommend a good pen tablet?). I hope to be able to upgrade and reuse this build for a couple of years (better graphics card, sound card, RAM, etc.).
Hard Drive size isn't a big concern for me (250gb or better is fine), but its access speed is. For the sake of not falling behind, I'd prefer DDR3 RAM. Finally, I've been using XP for years, waiting out Vista... so I'll probably go with a 64-bit version (Home is fine) and upgrade to 7.

Many thanks for your time.

overshocks

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009

you do know the gtx 285 and gtx 295 was released several months(if i remember correctly) AFTER the launch of 4870, 4870x2..meaning nvidia had more time
i admit no single gpu ati card can compete with gtx 285, but 4870x2 CAN compete with gtx 295. 4870x2 is cheaper and is just a little behind performance.

what you trying to say here (grammar problem?) "And I didn't "That means the above paragraph you wrote was ALL BUNK quoting some words now. do that! "

are you saying ur paragraph is not all bunk, because it is when you began to talk about "Still when nVidia releases their GTX300 series they'll most likely make it for the $400+ market without worrying about price/perf. ratio as for them a GTX375 beating a HD5870 by a 1% margin in some games means it worth another $50 price premium"

overshocks

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009

what "REAL" advancements do you want?

psycho sykes

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
Maybe a driver to make the CF better. At least equal to nVidia.. ATI's drivers are no match for nVidia's in multi-GPU performance.. Also their games' drivers support is horrible! I had to wait 4+ months for my X1400 to run Assassin's Creed 1 w/o the "tall grass" bug, And still it wasn't totally solved!
A relative of mine has a G-Force 7300 GS and with the box driver he had no issues at all! (Version was issued March, 2007) and he never thought of updating it..
Also How about optimizing drivers a little bit to solve with perf.-hits issues when using AA ??

Just 2 i thought of..

Though those aren't REAL but combining them with others should bring a monster card!

overshocks

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009

"Maybe a driver to make the CF better. At least equal to nVidia.. ATI's drivers are no match for nVidia's in multi-GPU performance"

You are wrong. Two 5870s in crossfire almost doubles the performance.

"I had to wait 4+ months for my X1400 to run Assassin's Creed 1 w/o the "tall grass" bug, And still it wasn't totally solved!"

How old is the x1400?

"Also How about optimizing drivers a little bit to solve with perf.-hits issues when using AA ??"

You are wrong again, check the 5870 cards. They pretty much fixed a lot of problems.

psycho sykes

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009

Check

How old is the G-Force 7300 GS??!!

I noticed that! :D but still we don't know if the new drivers fixed these issues in older families (HD4000) or if it's a hardware optimization. They have to support to their already sold cards, That's why we need a new driver..

Medo

overshocks

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009

why you link me to crysis, that's not relevant because if i remember correctly in all other games it's nearly double performance with CF 5870 than 1 5870

"Maybe a driver to make the CF better. At least equal to nVidia.. ATI's drivers are no match for nVidia's in multi-GPU performance"

this is funny.

ti1706

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
Sorry about letting this thread die without explanation.

I've been waiting for Microsoft to approve/deny my application... so far, nothing.

However, I just received an email which states that this thread is now "inactive". So, before I forget (or run out of time) I'm going to give the "Best Answer" to Sykes/Medo... as a thanks for all his time and effort.

Hopefully, Digital River (Microsoft's cohort) will email soon (I'm still inside their "1-2 weeks" time frame). If so, I'll post again, but in a new (hopefully shorter) thread.

Thanks to everyone who posted their ideas, comments, and advice. I appreciate it.