Strix GTX 960 barely overclocks

Baldr333

Prominent
May 26, 2017
Been trying to OC my GPU a bit, but, using ASUS GPU tweak, I can only squeeze out about 50 extra core and memory clock before artifacting occurs in furmark, or crashing in heaven benchmark. Voltage is max in tweak at +35mV and power capacity is max in tweak as well. Any idea what's happening there? I've heard my GPU should be well overclock able at least to a slightly higher extent. Temps never go as high as 65c in heaven and never above 69c in furmark

Solution
thing is its luck of the draw and a great oc say under heaven may crash under anything else youy need to run several programs/ games / benches to find the best all day all a round clocks

I use 3 profiles one is 24/7 best overclock runs all I got one profile is maxed out for just heaven or firestrike but will have issue with other things I run . and so on

thing is you got to adjust to the best overclock that don't crash or have issue with all you run under it . some times a card may not do anything more over then what it came out of the box ..

pretty sure your card boosted far higher then what asus speced it to do

like say my card was speced for 1250 but in real life out of the box it does 1375 - I'm...
could be that good ol' luck of the draw or the factory oc is all ready pushing the card to the limit and cant take much if any more ??

''before artifacting occurs in furmark '

I get away from that one bench . I tried that I seen could easy damage things something about that bench I just did not trust I doint see myself ever using it again for anything [opinion]

you say about temps ??? so the card don't get hot . what about voltages ?? maybe quickly hitting the bios set limits .

''I've heard my GPU should be well overclock '' lol.. you here that on about every card [except the one you get ] in hype sheets and bragging pages of forums with the guys that card is better then everyone elses his card is al ways the skys the limit

Baldr333

Prominent
May 26, 2017
GPU tweak raised max voltage to up to +35mV which is within safe ranges for my card, and it doesn't seem to be helping much. I've considered perhaps the factory OC is already working well enough or the boost is working well enough to cover most potential gains, but as far as overclock potential I've looked into countless forum threads as well as OC ing reviews on my card and none had issue with OCing at about +100 mghz core and at least +300 mem clocks, so +50 on both seems pretty low overall to me. Any possibility that my PSU needs an upgrade? Running a 550 watt as it stands

ASUS GPU tweak,

maybe get away from that ?? try afterburner or evga precision x . I got better results from evga's tool over afterburner on my card , but that something you may try to see what oc tool may work the better on your card.

the I don't guess a 960 was a enthusiast card geared to oc lie there big brother cards were factory overcvlocks may be near there limit from the get go ??
may squeeze a tad bit more out of it , but ??????

all your guaranteed is the factory stated clocking specs anyway not a drop more
good luck

Baldr333

Prominent
May 26, 2017
I was working with afterburner for a bit, so maybe I'll go back to that. Haven't tried the EVGA tool at all though. I figured GPU tweak would've been the best option as Strix is an ASUS base and that's what I saw used consistently in testing, but I'm willing to try out some other programs and see where they get me. If anything, I may just end up sticking to the +50 OC or even go back down to factory, as I don't know how much benefit I'm getting from +50 in the first place. And I do think it's very possible that factory OC is already covering enough that I'm not seeing large gains, but I would think that I could squeeze a little more than +50 on core and memory out of it, but I suppose if I can't figure it out safely, I'd rather stick with what I have and make the best of it. Thanks for your input!

thing is its luck of the draw and a great oc say under heaven may crash under anything else youy need to run several programs/ games / benches to find the best all day all a round clocks

I use 3 profiles one is 24/7 best overclock runs all I got one profile is maxed out for just heaven or firestrike but will have issue with other things I run . and so on

thing is you got to adjust to the best overclock that don't crash or have issue with all you run under it . some times a card may not do anything more over then what it came out of the box ..

pretty sure your card boosted far higher then what asus speced it to do

like say my card was speced for 1250 but in real life out of the box it does 1375 - I'm gurenteed the card will do 1250 but box stock factory it doing 1375 , see ??? .

big thing is hittin the voltage limits set on the card bios

look at this gpu-z . see how its banging the power limits to try to hold the oc they put on that card ? the more color you get in that field the more its suffering to try to hold the clocks set [throttling occurs ]

http://imgur.com/YDTq3pV

may look up threads as this one to add to help ?

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2823032/overclocking-asus-strix-gtx-960.html

''Please remember that every video card is different and the overclocks we achieve here are not necessarily what you will be able to achieve''

https://www.hardocp.com/article/2015/03/23/asus_strix_gtx_960_directcu_ii_oc_video_card_review/3

like these guys point out

''We'll have more on this in our full retail card reviews very soon as it will be one of the key differentiator between the cards on the market''

https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-960-2GB-Review-GM206-199/Overclocking-ASUS-GTX-960-Strix

see that's a cherry picked card sent to them for review not a retail card like you or me buy from newegg ????

you got to take a lot you see on this with a grain of salt from hype sheets / sale pitch reviews .

Solution